General Information
Ponte de Fundo de Rua  
See Map
  • Name: Bridge of Fundo de Rua
  • Typology: Bridge
  • Classification: Submitted to classification
  • Municipality: Amarante
  • Visiting Hours: Free 
  • Entrance Fee: Free 
  • Support Services:
  • Telephone : 255 810 706 / 918 116 488   
  • Fax: 255 810 709   
  • E-Mail: rotadoromanico@valsousa.pt    
  • Web: www.rotadoromanico.com   
  • Location:
    Rua de Ovelha e Honra do Marão, Aboadela, Amarante, Porto.
  • Geographic Coordinates: 41° 16' 38.36" N / 7° 59' 43.82" O 
History
History
Ouvir

Bridge of Fundo de Rua (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)The inscription at the base of the cruise constructed at the entrance of the Bridge, on the left bank, and referring to the year 1630, sends its (re)construction back to the 17th century.

Consequently, and despite being commonly known as Romanesque, this crossing can only be considered the heir of the medieval models by which builders could have been inspired.

Given the privileged position of the Bridge within the peninsular road context, connecting the west coast to the interior of the peninsula, several reasons may have contributed to its construction, making it a relevant work within the local, regional and even national context.

The fact Amarante was, in the Modern Age, the epicentre of many routes leading to regional, national or even international spiritual centres - as the cult of Saint Gonzalo, of the Holy Little Lady of Basto, the Lady of Lapa or in connection with the ways of Saint James of Compostela - and, hence, the need to provide safe and fast access to pilgrims and devotees would have been one of the reasons underlying the construction of the Bridge of Fundo de Rua.

At the same time, in 1630, Filipe III was king of Portugal and one of the monarchs who favoured the building of bridges and roads the most, particularly in times of conflict, but also eager of communications and trade.

Chronology
Ouvir

1258 - The patronage of the Church of Saint Mary of Aboadela was property of the Monastery of Pombeiro;

14th century - Ovelha do Marão (term which included the parishes of Aboadela and Canadelo) was a medieval benefactoria;

1550 - On the death of D. Jorge de Lencastre, the medieval benefactoria becomes the property of the Crown, by order of King D. João III;

1630 - Construction date of the cruise at the east entrance of the Bridge;

17th century - Construction period of the Bridge of Fundo de Rua;

18th century - The term of Ovelha do Marão is transferred to the jurisdiction of the master grantees and barons of Mateus;

2000 - Restoration works in its pavement, with the replacement of the slabs and of some stones from the ledges, cleaning and removal of the vegetation which had accumulated over time;

2010 - Integration of the Bridge of Fundo de Rua in the Route of the Romanesque.

Specialities
Architecture
Ouvir

Stony bridge, Romanesque-inspired, sustained by four round arches with unequal dimensions, over which runs a platform slightly raised above the higher arch.

The pillars are protected by three sharp cut-waters upstream and by the buttresses downstream.

Leaning against the railing on the right side, at the entrance to the Bridge, on the left bank, we find a 17th century cruise.

Restoration and Enhancement
Ouvir
In 2000, the Bridge of Fundo de Rua underwent restoration works in its pavement, with the replacement of the slabs and of some stones from the ledges, cleaning and removal of the vegetation which had accumulated over time.
Gallery
  • No results were found.
Know More
Bibliography

[S.a.] - Beetria. In CORREIA, António Mendes [et al.] - Grande enciclopédia portuguesa e brasileira. Lisboa/Rio de Janeiro: Editorial Enciclopédia, 1963a. Vol. 4, p. 417-418.

[S.a.] - Ovelha do Marão. In CORREIA, António Mendes [et al.] - Grande enciclopédia portuguesa e brasileira. Lisboa/Rio de Janeiro: Editorial Enciclopédia, 1963b. Vol. 19, p. 834-835.

ABASCAL, J. M.; CEBRIÁN, R.- Los viajes de José Cornide por España y Portugal de 1754 a 1801. Real Academia de la Historia, 2009. ISBN 9788496849556.

ALMEIDA, Carlos Alberto Ferreira de - Arquitectura românica de Entre Douro e Minho. Porto: Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto, 1978. Dissertação de doutoramento apresentada à Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto.

CARDOSO, António Barros – Aboadela, 1800-1820. Boletim do Arquivo Distrital do Porto. Vol. 3 (1986) 75-100.

CARDOSO, Luiz, padre - Diccionario geografico... Lisboa: na Regia Officina Sylviana, e da Academia Real, 1747.

CASTELO BRANCO, Camilo - Vinte horas de liteira. Porto: Edições Caixotim, 2002. ISBN 972-8651-10-4.

COSTA, A. Carvalho da - Corografia portugueza e descripçam topografica do famoso reyno de Portugal... Lisboa: Off. de Valentim da Costa Deslandes, 1706.

FREIRE, A. Braamcamp - Povoação de Entre Doiro e Minho no XVI: seculo. Archivo Historico Portuguez. Vol. 3, n.º 7/8 (1905) 241-273.

MORENO, Humberto Baquero - Linhas de comunicação em Trás-os-Montes no século XV. Boletim do Arquivo Distrital do Porto. Vol. 1 (1982) 191-202.

RESENDE, Nuno - Ponte de Fundo de Rua: Amarante. In ROSAS, Lúcia, coord. cient. – Rota do Românico. Lousada: Centro de Estudos do Românico e do Território, 2014. Vol. 1, p. 71-82.

SANTA TERESA, Tomás de, frei - Viagem sentimental à província do Minho. Amarante: Grupo de Amigos da Biblioteca/Museu Municipal, 2009.

SECO, Fernando Álvares - [Portugalliae que olim Lusitania, novissima & exactissima descriptio] [Material cartográfico]. Escala [1:1300000]. 1561. Roma.

SERRÃO, Joaquim Veríssimo - História de Portugal [1580-1640]. Lisboa: Editorial Verbo, 2000. ISBN 972-22-0269-3.

SILVA, Alexandre Pinto da- [Memória Paroquial de] Ovelha do Marão [Manuscrito]. 1758. Acessível em ANTT, Lisboa. PT/TT/MPRQ/26/46ª.

SILVA, José Justino de Andrade e - Collecção chronologica da Legislação Portugueza...: 1603-1612. Lisboa: Imprensa de J.

URIOL SALCEDO, José I. - História de los caminos de España. Madrid: Colegio de Ingenieros de Caminos, Canales y Puertos, 2001. ISBN 84-380-0199-8.

Downloads