General Information
Igreja de São Martinho de Mouros  
See Map
Virtual Tour
  • Name: Church of Saint Martin of Mouros
  • Typology: Church
  • Classification: National Monument by Decree 8 175, DG 110 of 2nd June 1922
  • Municipality: Resende
  • Patron Saint´s Day: Saint Martin - 11th November 
  • Worship Hours: Sunday - 8.30 am (winter) or 8 am (summer) 
  • Visiting Hours: By appointment   
  • Support Services:
  • Telephone : 255 810 706 / 918 116 488   
  • Fax: 255 810 709   
  • E-Mail: rotadoromanico@valsousa.pt    
  • Web: www.rotadoromanico.com   
  • Location:
    Av. Nené Ribeiro, São Martinho de Mouros, Resende, Viseu.
  • Geographic Coordinates: 41° 6' 6.90" N / 7° 53' 54.92" O 
History
History
Ouvir

Church of Saint Martin of Mouros (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)The Church of Saint Martin of Mouros stands on a mountain top that elevates itself over the final stretch of the Bestança brook, on its way to the Douro river.

Built on an easily defensible area, featuring steep slopes and remarkable granite massifs, this Church, with a silhouette that imposes itself from the different points of the valley, stands out from the landscape of the Meadas mountain range in a very peculiar way due to its unique physiognomy.

The first news about any kind of spatial occupation date back to the hill fort occupation and to the subsequent Romanization period, of which this territory has very abundant traces. However, we should highlight that, mainly in the Middle Ages, there were already news about the taking of the castle by the army of Ferdinand the Great - King of Castile (1035-1065) and Leon (1037-1065) -, thus integrating São Martinho into an important defensive line along the Douro river that included the Castles of Lamego and of Castro de Rei (Tarouca).

We should remember that it was after the taking of Lamego, on November 29th, 1057, that the Christian armies of Ferdinand the Great took the Castles of Cárquere and São Martinho Mouros.

The latter defensive structure, of which some traces still survive, is located to the west of the existing village, being certainly an heiress of the hill fort; the primitive Christian temple, which was built close to its fence, was dedicated to the Saviour like so many others at the time.

The invocation is simultaneously a sign of the taking and a war cry, which takes shape in the iconography of Christ, as King and Justicer. Once the Castle had been taken and the space had been made sacred, the walled town resumed its life along the fertile Bestança valley.

Although the historical data relating to the Church of Saint Martin of Mouros are scarce, the first documented references to the building may be found from the 13th century onwards.

From being a royal patronage - according to the information of the “Inquirições” [administrative enquiries] of 1258 - the Church was handed over to the House of Marialva (15th century) and to the University of Coimbra (16th century).

The existence of an inscription, dated back to 1217, engraved on the chancel's outer face (north side, first row above the footing and fifth ashlar from the right) takes us back to the beginning of the construction of this Church or marks the completion of a first constructive phase, possibly of the chevet. Its initial design was bold, foreseeing the existence of three vaulted naves, but these were never built.

In the Modern Age, and especially during the Baroque period, there were changes in its spatial nature and decoration, with an emphasis on the main altarpiece - showing the national style - with a Eucharistic throne surmounted by a representation of the Ascension of Christ.

The nave's altarpieces, also manufactured according to the so-called national baroque language, are simpler than the largest one. The collateral altarpieces are consecrated to the Lord of the Stigmata and to Our Lady of the Rosary, and the lateral one (on the nave's right side) to Our Lady of the Exile.

In the chancel, two oil paintings on wood boards made around 1530 stand out; they depict scenes from the life of the charitable and mystical Saint Martin. These works are ascribed to the Ferreirim Masters.

On the other hand, the frescoes found on the nave's collateral walls may be works from the final years of the 15th century; the depictions (currently hidden by the altarpieces) of Saint Martin and of an unknown female figure wearing a Benedictine habit are the only remaining ones.

We should also note the presence, in different altars and on a number of corbels, of imagery pieces showing a good artistic quality, from which we highlight the one representing Saint Martin of Tours, the patron saint.

Chronology
Ouvir

1057 - Taking of the Castle of Saint Martin to the "Moors" by Ferdinand the Great;

1111 - The Countess D. Teresa grants the charter to São Martinho de Mouros;

1217 - The year that marks the beginning of the construction of the Church of Saint Martin;

1258 - The “Inquirições” [administrative enquiries] allude to the royal patronage of the Church of Saint Martin of Mouros;

1342 - The charters of São Martinho de Mouros are drawn up, documenting aspects of its proto-municipalist and communitarian organization;

1455 - The patronage of the Church is transferred from the crown to the House of Marialva;

1513 - D. Manuel I grants a new charter to São Martinho de Mouros;

1531/1532 - Rui Fernandes, a chronicler and merchant, mentions São Martinho and the Bestança valley;

1530 (circa) - Painting of the boards depicting Saint Martin's life;

1543 - The patronage of the Church is transferred to the University of Coimbra;

1638-1649 - News about multiple payments for one-off works in the Church and in the parish residence;

1758 - The Rector João da Cruz, parish priest of São Martinho, signs the Memoir that draws a social, economic and artistic portrait of the parish;

1941-1951 - Conduction of restoration works on the main façade and on the Church's Protection Area, under the responsibility of the DGEMN – Direção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [General Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments];

1962-1968 - The chancel and sacristy of the Church of Saint Martin of Mouros are subject to a deep restoration intervention, under the responsibility of the DGEMN – Direção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [General Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments];

From the 90s to our days - The Church of Saint Martin of Mouros has been subject to several conservation interventions;

2010 - Integration of the Church of Saint Martin of Mouros in the Route of the Romanesque.

Specialities
Architecture
Ouvir

This Church comprises a single nave and a rectangular chancel; its façade is dominated by a tower-shaped volume that takes up the nave's first quarter and, much like a façade-tower, gives this building a somewhat militarised and defensive look, doing justice to its reputation of fortress-Church.

In fact, this tower-shaped volume is the only one of its kind in the panorama of Portuguese Romanesque architecture: this volume takes up the entire width of the Church and, fulfilling the role of a west façade, it shapes a vertical structure that rises just above the nave's level.

But it is in terms of its internal space that this volume shows an extremely original composition given the fact that it creates, in this part of the temple, a solution comprising three narrow naves, with parallel stonework vaults, one for each bay.

Plan of the Church of Saint Martin of Mouros (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)

Three round arches rest on two high and robust square pillars, which have half-columns addorsed to three of their sides. These pillars, with the help of the external buttresses that end just below the cornice, are the ones that support the entire structure.

The central arch is much higher than the other ones, rising right up to the nave's panelled ceiling.

Accompanying the level of the arches, the small central nave's vault is higher than the lateral ones; it is also supported by a small transverse arch resting on corbels. Two longitudinal arches rest on columns whose carved capitals complete this ensemble.

In these capitals we can find vegetal and anthropomorphic themes, such as the representation of the seated man or of the man being swallowed by animals, a common theme on the Braga-Rates axis.

Beyond these arches, and leaving these small naves behind, the wide spatiality of the single nave appears in a contrasting way. So, its amplitude shows, in addition to its great height, that this was an exceptional place in terms of the Romanesque scale that was being used within our territory at the time.

Further ahead, the triumphal arch, which is pointed and surmounted by a framed oculus, comprises three archivolts resting on colonettes embedded on the wall, with capitals that are also decorated; these were carved using granite with a finer grain than the one that was used in the rest of the Church, which also allowed giving a more refined and defined treatment to the sculpted shapes.

Here, there are monsters swallowing naked figures that are hanging from their mouths by the legs, a subject with clear origins in Braga and that is also repeated in the main portal and in one of the high capitals from the nave's first bay.

In the archivolts we find denticulate motifs. However, given the great extension of the triumphal arch's span, when compared to the arches from the Church's first bay, we may take the risk of considering it belongs to a later chronology.

Besides, the chancel's great amplitude and the fact that it shows flat corbels on the outside are signs of an extension of the Romanesque modus aedificandi over time; perhaps, in this case, it already takes on a resistance-style nature.

This space of the Church has wide rectangular large windows that create a clear contrast with the crevices of medieval origin that still illuminate the nave's interior in a diffuse way.

On the outside of this religious temple, the Romanesque spirit is very much alive. The presence of stones carved with initials along its wall faces, which were also reused in the bordering walls, remind us of the organization of building sites in this period.
 
On the main façade, a narrow crevice surmounts a portal formed by three sharp-edged pointed archivolts. It features three fluted shafts and capitals decorated with vegetal and animal themes.

The vegetal and anthropomorphic-themed sculpture, well attached to the frustum, suggests a later chronology than the one of the nave's high capitals, which are more swollen, or even of the ones from the triumphal arch. The ensemble is surrounded by a chequered frieze and its impost extends itself along the entire façade.

Although currently we find a flat tympanum here, there is information that, in 1924, a large and thick granite stone was leaning against the façade. With an engraved cross in the centre, this stone worked as a tympanum that was surely part of this portal. Just above the portal, four corbels prove the prior existence of a porch-like structure.

On the upper part, a cornice rests on a Lombard band - a recurrent motif in several buildings from the Sousa river basin - whose little arches are supported by corbels with zoomorphic decorations shaped as bovine heads; some of them have a more finished look, others look more sketchy or worn away.

It is also above this western volume that we find the bell tower; it too is a compact building, in which two round arches were opened, on each side, to shelter the bells. Finally, the western façade is propped by two buttresses, which are located on the corners and help to provide this entire heavy and massive structure with a better support.

Despite the fact that the Church's body is not vaulted, the walls are reinforced with buttresses that, finished with wedges, end below the cornice level. This cornice, on the side elevations, is supported by flat modillions.

Restoration and Enhancement
Ouvir

Restoration and enhancement of the Church of Saint Martin of Mouros (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)The Church of Saint Martin of Mouros was subject to several changes carried out by the DGEMN – Direção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [General Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments]. The somewhat late nature of the restoration carried out here, after the Centenary Celebrations of 1940, can only be justified by the fact that it was considered that this building retained its medieval appearance in a satisfactory way.
 
However, comparing the existing documentary data with the iconography that accompanied the intervention conducted here between 1941 and 1951, it is noticeable that the main concern was the rhetoric emphasis of its medieval traits, materializing it on two specific fronts: there was a concern in highlighting the façade's tower-shaped nature, lowering it to the cornice level, which led to the reconstruction of the belfry that then got a somewhat raised look.

That campaign required an extensive intervention on the wall faces of the north lateral façade, which explains the fact that the buttresses are currently finished with wedges, which were uncommon shapes in the Romanesque period.

We should remember that the militarised nature of the Church of Saint Martin of Mouros is more rhetorical than actually real; it was a feature that this intervention sought to enhance by releasing the belfry from visual constraints, while asserting it formally, as if it was some kind of watchtower.

Restoration and enhancement of the Church of Saint Martin of Mouros (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)Before the intervention of the DGEMN – Direção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [General Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments] there was a series of buildings, which were addorsed to the south lateral façade and created a much narrower space than the one that currently exists in front of the main façade.

The demolition of these vernacular dwellings, dominated by the use of rammed earth, led to the construction of a terrace that opens this Romanesque building towards the landscape and, in turn, allows it to have the building on its horizon.

Inside we also find, although in a more discreet way, a will to glorify the building's medieval traits. Although several artistic elements of the Modern Period have been kept - such as the main altarpiece, the collateral altarpieces and one of the nave's altarpieces, besides some statuary pieces and the pulpit -, during the interventions carried out in the 1940s the high choir that existed in the nave's first bay was demolished.

Resorting to the robust pillars that exist in this area of the Church as support elements, the access to this wooden structure was made through two staircases with various flights, located on each of the angles of this religious space. Furthermore, the inner plaster was removed with the clear intention to emphasize the ancestry of the granite that shapes the Church's structure.

However, it was during the 1960s that one of the most extensive interventions carried out in the chancel's interior took place. So, in 1962, the lateral wall on the Epistle side was demolished and rebuilt; since then, the interesting three-centred arch decorated with pearls that is opened above the level of the access door to the sacristy has been kept visible.

Gallery
  • No results were found.
Know More
Bibliography

ACADEMIA DAS CIÊNCIAS DE LISBOA - Foros de São Martinho de Mouros. In Collecçao de livros ineditos de historia portugueza: dos reinados de D. Jose I, D. Duarte, D. Affonso V, e D. Joao II. Lisboa: Academia das Ciências de Lisboa, 1816. p. 579-607.

ALARCAO, Jorge de – Coimbra: a montagem do cenário urbano. Coimbra: Imprensa da Universidade de Coimbra, 2008.

ALMEIDA, Carlos Alberto Ferreira de - Arquitectura românica de Entre Douro e Minho. Porto: Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto, 1978. Tese de doutoramento apresentada à
Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto.

ALMEIDA, Carlos Alberto Ferreira de - História da arte em Portugal: o românico. Lisboa: Publicações Alfa, 1986.

ALMEIDA, Carlos Alberto Ferreira de - Primeiras impressões sobre a arquitetura românica portuguesa. Revista da Faculdade de Letras - Série História. Porto: Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto. Vol. II (1971).

ALMEIDA, M. Lopes de - Artes e ofícios em documentos da Universidade: III — 1630-1650. Coimbra: Universidade, 1972.

ANTUNES, Rute – Igreja Matriz de São Martinho de Mouros/ Igreja de São Martinho (N.º IPA: PT01183140002) [Em linha]. Inventário do Património. 2006. [Consulta: 15-07-2011]. Disponível em WWW: <URL:http://www.monumentos.pt>.

BARROCA, Mário - Epigrafia medieval portuguesa: 862-1422. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, 2000.

BARROCA, Mário - História das campanhas. In BARATA, Manuel Themudo; TEIXEIRA, Nuno Severiano - Nova história militar de Portugal. Lisboa: Círculo de Leitores, 2003. Vol. 1, p. 32.

BOTELHO, Maria Leonor; RESENDE, Nuno - Igreja de são Martinho de Mouros: Resende. In ROSAS, Lúcia, coord. cient. – Rota do Românico. Lousada: Centro de Estudos do Românico e do Território, 2014. Vol. 2, p. 55-84.

CAETANO, Joaquim O. - Aparição de Cristo a São Martinho. In AZEVEDO, Carlos A. Moreira; SOALHEIRO, João - Cristo fonte de esperança: catálogo. Porto: Diocese do Porto, 2000. ISBN 972-98565-1-6.

CAETANO, Joaquim O. - São Martinho e o pobre. In AZEVEDO, Carlos A. Moreira; SOALHEIRO, João - Cristo fonte de esperança: catálogo. Porto: Diocese do Porto, 2000. ISBN 972-98565-1-6.

COLLAÇO, João Tello de Magalhães - Cadastro da população do reino: 1527: atas das comarcas damtre Tejo e Odiana e da Beira. Lisboa: [edição do autor], 1931.

CORREIA, Vergílio - Monumentos e esculturas: seculos III-XVI. Lisboa: Livraria Ferin, 1924.

COSTA, M. Gonçalves da - História do bispado e cidade de Lamego: Idade Média: paróquias e conventos. Braga: [edição de autor], 1979.

CRUZ, João da - [Memória Paroquial de] São Martinho de Mouros [Manuscrito]. 1758. Acessível em ANTT, Lisboa. PT/TT/MPRQ/25/245.

DIAS, João José Alves - Gentes e espaços: em torno da população portuguesa na primeira metade do século XVI. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian/Junta Nacional de Investigação Científica e Tecnológica, 1996.

DUARTE, Joaquim Correia - Resende e a sua história: as freguesias. Resende: Câmara Municipal de Resende, 1994.

FERNANDES, A. de Almeida - Censual da Sé de Lamego. Arouca: [Câmara Municipal de Lamego/ADPA], 1999.

FERNANDES, Rui - Descripção do terreno em roda da cidade de Lamego duas leguas... In Collecção de ineditos de historia portugueza. Academia Real das Sciencias de Lisboa, 1926. Vol. 5, p. 546-613.

HERCULANO, Alexandre, dir. - Portugalliae monumenta historica : o saeculo octavo post christum usque ad quintumdecimum: inquisiciones. Lisboa: Tipografia Nacional, 1936.

JALHAY, Eugénio - Lápides romanas da região de Cárquere, Resende. Brotéria. Vol. 52, n.º 1 (1951).

MANTAS, Vasco Gil- A inscrição rupreste da estação luso-romana de Mogueira, Resende. Revista de Guimarães. Vol. 94 (1985).

NETO, Maria João Baptista - Memória, propaganda e poder: o restauro dos monumentos nacionais. Porto: Faculdade de Arquitetura da Universidade do Porto, 2001.

OLIVEIRA, Luís Filipe - A casa dos Coutinhos: linhagem, espaço e poder: 1360-1452. Cascais: Patrimonia, 1999.

PINTO, Joaquim Caetano - Resende: monografia do seu concelho. Braga: [edição de autor], 1982.

RODRIGUES, Jorge - A Direcção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais e o restauro dos monumentos medievais durante o Estado Novo. Lisboa: DGEMN/Livros Horizonte, 1999.

ROSAS, Lúcia Maria Cardoso - A escultura românica das igrejas da margem esquerda do Rio Minho. Porto: Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto, 1987.

SOALHEIRO, João - Pinturas dos retábulos de Santo António de Ferreirim. In RESENDE, Nuno - O compasso da terra. Braga: Diocese de Lamego, 2006. Vol. 1, p. 154-159.

TEIXEIRA, Nuno Severiano - Medidas-padrão medievais. Revista da Faculdade de Letras. Vol. 9 (1992) 53-85.

TEIXEIRA, Ricardo - Castelos e organização dos territórios nas duas margens do curso médio do Douro: séculos IX-XIV. In SIMPÓSIO INTERNACIONAL SOBRE CASTELOS, 2001 - Mil anos de fortificações na Península Ibérica e no Magreb, 500-1500: actas. Lisboa: Edições Colibri/Câmara Municipal de Palmela, 2001. p. 463-476.

TOMÉ, Miguel Jorge B. Ferreira - Património e restauro em Portugal: 1920-1995. Porto: Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto, 1998.

Downloads