General Information
Igreja de Santa Maria de Barrô  
See Map
  • Name: Church of Saint Mary of Barrô
  • Typology: Church
  • Classification: National Monument by Decree 8 175, DG 110 of 2nd June 1922
  • Municipality: Resende
  • Patron Saint´s Day: Saint Mary - 15th August 
  • Worship Hours: Sunday - 8.30 am (winter) or 8 am (summer) 
  • Visiting Hours: By appointment   
  • Support Services:
  • Telephone : 255 810 706 / 918 116 488   
  • Fax: 255 810 709   
  • E-Mail: rotadoromanico@valsousa.pt   
  • Web: www.rotadoromanico.com   
  • Location:
    Rua de Santa Maria de Barrô, Barrô, Resende, Viseu.
  • Geographic Coordinates: 41° 7' 44.39" N / 7° 52' 57.40" O 
History
History
Ouvir

Church of Barrô (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)Although we can date the foundation of the Church of Barrô back to the 12th century - as the private Church of Egas Moniz (1080-1146), the Schoolmaster and Governor of the first king of Portugal, D. Afonso Henriques, which came to his hands by royal donation -, we know nothing about what was built or transformed at the time, or if it was just a matter of giving continuity to a worship that was probably being practised in an already existing temple.

As it is commonly known, Egas Moniz was the lieutenant of São Martinho de Mouros, at least between 1106 and 1111, and the governor of the Lamego region between 1113-1117 - and maybe even until a later date.

Having managed to assert himself politically in a kingdom under construction, Egas Moniz, of the Ribadouro family, offered plentiful donations to religious institutions, from which we highlight the Monastery of Paço de Sousa (Penafiel), where he had himself buried.

It is, therefore, within this context that we should understand the donation of the patronage of the Church of Barrô made by D. Sancha Vermudes - Egas Moniz's daughter-in-law - to the Hospitallers Order in 1208, according to the “Inquirições” [administrative enquiries] of King D. Afonso III (1248-1279), which were carried out in the municipality and "julgado" [jurisdiction] of São Martinho de Mouros, in 1258: when he was questioned, Egas Moniz explained to the inquirers that the Church of Saint Mary of Barriolo belonged to the Hospitaller Friars who were using the Church. And when he was asked about the origin of such patronage, he answered that it had been a donation from D. Sancha Vermudes. And many other people said similar things.

On the other hand, according to a different testimony by Pedro Gonçalves, the villa de Barriolo belonged entirely to the Monastery of Paço de Sousa (Penafiel). Therefore, in other words, there were many conflicting interests within this area (both from the church and territorial), although they all had a common link to the heritage of the Gascões lineage, to which Egas Moniz belonged.

Being a parish with a smaller area - if compared with the neighbouring parish of São Martinho de Mouros (where the seat of the municipality to which it belonged was located) -, it had a population of 1327 inhabitants in 1758, distributed by 429 dwellings scattered among places and farms, in a mountainous area with brooks.

Here, on the banks of the Douro river, people believed that there were traces of a bridge commissioned by one of the royal Mafaldas. This tradition is echoed by the Vicar José Mendes de Azevedo, when he refers traces of pillars on both banks, namely on the opposite parish of Barqueiros.

The parish Church was not the only religious centre in Barrô because, in the 17th century (in 1693) a group of nuns who took the Franciscan habit settled in the area; after this group had been extinct (in 1780) and the resisting nuns had been incorporated in the Convent of Stigmata, in Lamego, this became an important teaching centre during the 19th and 20th centuries. It was the Convent of Jesus-Mary-Joseph, referred to in 1758 as Claras urbanas.

Chronology
Ouvir

1208 - D. Sancha Vermudes donates the patronage of the Church of Barrô to the Hospitallers;

1258 - Pedro Gonçalves mentions that the villa of Barrô had been donated by Egas Moniz to the Monastery of Paço de Sousa (Penafiel);

13th century (2nd half) - Construction of the Church of Barrô;

18th century - Design of most Barrô's liturgical furnishings, including imagery pieces;

1890 - Construction of Barrô's bell tower;

20th Century (2nd half) - Restoration interventions on the Church and its surrounding area;

2010 - Integration of the Church of Saint Mary of Barrô in the Route of the Romanesque.

Specialities
Architecture
Ouvir

The Church, comprising a single nave and a rectangular chancel, is located on a plot of land facing the Douro river, on a steep slope; therefore, the main façade is located at a lower ground level than the one of the chancel; this issue is internally compensated by the two steps that allow accessing the chancel through the nave.

It is on the outside that we are able to identify, in a more assertive way, the elements that allow us to state that this Church was built during a late Portuguese Romanesque period; it already features some components that would later characterise what has come to be called as the first rural Gothic style.

The main façade stands out immediately; it is organised according to four registers delimited by three frames placed in the continuity of the imposts found on the main portal, on the large upper window, and another one that is part of the window's base.
Plans of the Church of Barrô (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)

Adopting a very uncommon structure in the region, the façade is composed also by two overlapping openings - the portal and the already proto-Gothic rose window, formed by circles - in a composition that immediately refers us to a formal proximity with the Old Coimbra Cathedral.

The sculpture on the portal's capitals, with vegetal and floral themes, already announces a new aesthetics - the Gothic one - because its motifs, being already quite naturalistic, are closely bound to the basket. The slender columns that support them also bring us closer to this new moment in the history of art in the Middle Ages.

Although the layout of the façade tells us about the persistence of the Romanesque formulas, some of its compositional elements are clear testimonies of the introduction of new aesthetic models.

The main portal's tympanum, considered by Vergílio Correia (1888-1944) as the best specimen of its kind among coeval northern of Portugal churches, shows an elaborate multi-shaped hollow cross, richly decorated and remarkably carved.

We should also notice the three curious corbels that frame the portal, in which there are carved human faces that are rather hard to date.

The north and south lateral portals confirm the presence of the first rural Gothic style aesthetics. Both portals are carved into the thickness of the walls in which they were opened and feature a flat tympanum resting on corbels.

The north portal, which is more elaborate, comprises two archivolts surrounded by an external chequered arch, which also justifies the fact that it was sheltered by a porch-like structure, as suggested by the corbels that still currently exist in the middle of the façade.
 
On both elevations there are narrow crevices that, for being wider on their internal side, are characteristic of this type of constructions.

The corbels we find in Barrô show a great variety. On the north side they are richly decorated, while on the opposite side they are mostly plain.

Granite prevails inside the Church and the dimensions of the nave and chancel, particularly in terms of height, already announce the Gothic style. That fact is confirmed by the wide opening of the triumphal arch that, despite the aesthetic of its capitals, which is still very Romanesque, is already telling us about a different kind of liturgy.

Being slightly broken, the triumphal arch comprises two archivolts and is externally surrounded by an intertwined frieze. With a narrative nature, the capital found on the Gospel side shows us a hunting scene; its central figure is a man who, in addition to playing a hunting horn, is holding a spear in his right hand. The hunting horn was commonly used to communicate messages in times of danger.

On the right side there is a quadruped (perhaps bovine) and on the opposite side there is a character that seems to be armed with a sort of shield in the right hand and a club in the left hand. The topic of hunting, as an allegory of the struggle against evil, is also depicted on the opposite capital, where a boar is being grabbed by its paw and ear by two quadrupeds, perhaps two dogs.

The chancel is composed of three vaulted bays, defined by two transversal arches resting on columns addorsed to the wall. However, only the capitals on the central arch are ornamented, while the ones on the last arch are plain, something which may be explained due to the fact that this final bay is the result of an expansion of the apse to accommodate the ostentatious and spacious Baroque main altarpiece in a more balanced way.

We should notice the different size and colour of the ashlars from this final bay. So, it is in these two capitals from the chevet - decorated with bevelled vegetal motifs - that we find a great closeness to the Romanesque sculptural aesthetics of the ensemble that began developing itself in the Monastery of Paço de Sousa (Penafiel).

We may say that, after the Romanesque construction, it was during the Baroque period that the Church of Barrô underwent the most significant transformations. After its mainly stony decoration, there was a long period in which the horror vacui turned the whitewashed or plain walls into scenarios made of gilded and painted wood, according to the taste of a period when men sought to choreograph divinity.

In the chancel, the altarpiece drafted within the Johannine taste took up the entire chevet wall, moulding itself - in its scenic grammar - to the broken arch and giving rise a composition that stands in-between two styles.

The medieval Saint Mary was succeeded - already during the modern period - by the Virgin of the Assumption, which takes central stage on the main altarpiece and breathes the same style of the woodwork's language.

Still in the chancel, the large sculptural ensemble of the Calvary stands out, comprising a Crucified Christ, the Virgin and Saint John the Evangelist. Although it was transferred from an unknown location, this ensemble matches the Baroque spirit and the decorative language of the main altarpiece, so it was probably commissioned around the same time.

In the nave there are only two side altarpieces: one is dedicated to the Virgin of the Piety and the other symmetrical one, is currently dedicated to the Virgin and Child; in 1758, the Baby Jesus and the martyr Saint Sebastian were worshipped in this altarpiece.

Finally, we must not forget to mention the presence of numerous initials along the ashlars that embody the Church of Barrô.

Restoration and Enhancement
Ouvir

Restoration and enhancement of the Church of Barrô (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)In the late 19th century, more precisely in 1890, the bell tower addorsed to the main façade's south side was rebuilt at the expense of a person who had been born in the parish and then emigrated to Brazil, with connections to the family of "Casa do Torgal" [House of Torgal], replacing a belfry whose top cross, as mentioned in 1758, had been shaken due to the big earthquake.

In the mid-20th century, as a response to the appeal made by Father António Pinto Cardoso to carry out repair works in Barrô - since the roof was in a "ruinous" state and it rained "quite a lot" inside the Church, "causing serious damage to its richly carved altars, to the conservation of several implements and even to the celebration of religious acts " - a sum was spent to proceed with the most urgent repairs.

From the 1960s onwards, we notice a greater awareness amongst the competent authorities towards this building, as proved in a memorandum, from March 16th, 1965, regarding the "reconstruction of the roofs and the consolidation of the nave's coffered ceiling, explained by the fact that, being far away from the urban centres, the Church of Barrô has not been feeling the beneficial whiff of any repair works." Another memorandum explains that this building is "quite exposed to weathering" given the fact that it is located on the left bank of the Douro river, so the Church's roof "suffers with its consequential effects, which cause the shifting of roof tiles".

Restoration and enhancement of the Church of Barrô (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)It is worth highlighting - due to the impact it had on the building's legibility - the demolition of the Church's body, consisting of two floors, which was addorsed to the south lateral façade, on the angle created between it and the sacristy. The documentation identifies it as the Hall of Souls.

Since this was a construction from a "relatively recent period" that "was damaging" the ensemble and was partly obstructing the façade's lateral door, its demolition was considered at the time. However, that intervention was only carried out in 1966, most certainly with the deliberate intention of freeing the Church's body, of medieval origin, of an element that was obstructing its legibility.

Within this context, we should also highlight the intervention carried out in 1993 on its immediate surroundings, which connected the Church with the cemetery in a more coherent and unified way. At that time, and at the parish priest's own initiative, the bandstand was built.

Gallery
  • No results were found.
Know More
Bibliography

AZEVEDO, Joaquim de - Historia eclesiastica da cidade e bispado de Lamego. Porto: [Typographia do Jornal do Porto], 1877.

AZEVEDO, José Mendes - [Memória Paroquial de] Barrô [Manuscrito]. 1758. Acessível em ANTT, Lisboa. PT-TT-MPRQ-6-52.

BIBLIOTECA NACIONAL DE MALTA - Arquivos da Ordem de São João, secção XVI, parte 18, Priorado de Portugal, vizita geral da comenda de Sernacelhe e comenda de Barro, 1771.

BOTELHO, Maria Leonor; RESENDE, Nuno – Igreja de santa Maria de Barrô: Resende. In ROSAS, Lúcia, coord. cient. – Rota do Românico. Lousada: Centro de Estudos do Românico e do Território, 2014. Vol. 1, p. 173-194.

BOTELHO, Maria Leonor - A historiografia da arquitectura da época românica em Portugal. Porto: Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto, 2010. Tese de doutoramento em história da arte portuguesa apresentada à Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto, 2010a. Texto policopiado.

BOTELHO, Maria Leonor - As transformações sofridas pela Sé do Porto no século XX. Lisboa: Livros Horizonte, 2006. ISBN 972-24-1421-6.

CORREIA, Vergílio - Monumentos e esculturas: seculos III-XVI. Lisboa: Livraria Ferin, 1924.

COSTA, M. Gonçalves da - História do bispado e cidade de Lamego. Braga: [edição de autor], 1979.

DUARTE, Joaquim Correia - Resende e a sua História: as freguesias. Resende: Câmara Municipal de Resende, 1994.

Exposição de arte sacra do Arciprestado de Resende. Lamego: [Gráfica de Lamego], 1976.

FERNANDES, Rui - Descripção do terreno em roda da cidade de Lamego duas leguas... In Collecção de ineditos de historia portugueza. Lisboa: Academia Real das Sciencias de Lisboa, 1926. Vol. 5, p. 546-613.

FONSECA, Luís Adão da - Ordens militares. In AZEVEDO, Carlos Moreira - Dicionário de história religiosa de Portugal. Lisboa: Círculo de Leitores, 2000. Vol. 3.

HERCULANO, Alexandre, dir .- Portugalliae monumenta historica : o saeculo octavo post christum usque ad quintumdecimum: inquisiciones. Lisboa: Tipografia Nacional, 1936.

HUERTA HUERTA, Pedro Luís - Los artífices materiales de la construcción románica: oficios y funciones. In Protagonistas de la obra románica. Aguilar del Campoo: Fundación Santa María la Real – C.E.R, 2004.

NOSSA SENHORA, Francisco - Vida da serva do Senhor Soror Marianna da Madre de Deos: abadessa e fundadora do Mosteiro de Barrô da Ordem de Santa Clara... Porto: [Tipo-Lito de Gonçalves & Nogueira, limitada], 1930.

NUÑO GONZÁLEZ, Jaime - Aportación de la história, de la arqueología y de las ciências auxiliares al conocimiento del estilo románico. In Iniciación al arte románico. Aguilar del Campoo: Fundación Santa María la Real – C.E.R, 2005.

PINTO, Joaquim Caetano - Resende: monografia do seu concelho. Braga: [edição de autor], 1982.

PORTUGAL. Ministério da Agricultura, Mar, Ambiente e Ordenamento do Território - IRHU/Arquivo ex-DGEMN - Processos vários. Nº IPA PT011813020003 [Em linha]. Disponível em WWW: <URL: http://www.monumentos.pt>.

ROSAS, Lúcia Maria Cardoso - Igreja de São Mamede de Vila Verde: 1. A Igreja na Época Medieval. In MACHADO, Rosário Correia, coord. geral; ROSAS, Lúcia Maria Cardoso, coord. cient. - Românico do Vale do Sousa. [Lousada]: Valsousa - Rota do Românico, 2008.

SANTOS, Reinaldo dos - Oito séculos de arte portuguesa: história e espírito. Lisboa: Empresa Nacional de Publicidade, [s.d.].

SOUSA, Luís Correia de - Iconografia Musical na iconografia românica em Portugal [Em linha]. Medievalista. N.º 1 (2005). [Consult. 26.10.2011]. Disponível em WWW:<URL: http://www2.fcsh.unl.pt/iem/medievalista/MEDIEVALISTA8\ferreira8005.html>. ISSN 1646-740X.

VASCONCELOS, Joaquim de; ABREU, Marques - A arte românica em Portugal: texto de Joaquim de Vasconcellos com reproducções seleccionadas e executas por Marques Abreu. Porto: Edições Illustradas Marques Abreu, 1918.

Downloads