General Information
Igreja de Santa Maria de Sobretâmega  
See Map
Virtual Tour
  • Name: Church of Saint Mary of Sobretâmega
  • Typology: Church
  • Classification: Public Interest Building, by Decree 516/71, DG 274 of 22nd November 1971
  • Municipality: Marco de Canaveses
  • Patron Saint´s Day: Saint Mary - 15th August 
  • Worship Hours: Sunday - 8 am and 11 am 
  • Visiting Hours: By appointment   
  • Support Services:
  • Telephone : 255 810 706 / 918 116 488   
  • Fax: 255 810 709   
  • E-Mail: rotadoromanico@valsousa.pt   
  • Web: www.rotadoromanico.com   
  • Location:
    Rua da Igreja, Sobretâmega, Marco de Canaveses, Porto.
  • Geographic Coordinates:  41° 11' 41.56" N / 8° 9' 42.09" O 
History
History
Ouvir

Church of Sobretâmega (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)The Church of Saint Mary of Sobretâmega is located on the right bank of the river Tâmega, at the east entrance of the old Bridge of Canaveses, in the parish of Sobretâmega.

The origins of the parish date back to the Roman civilization, when a passage was probably built here, with the goal of connecting the two riverbanks. The Romans also turned the settlement into a spa, taking advantage of its mineral waters with sulphur and arsenic, which were the only ones of their kind in Portugal.

Together with São Nicolau, this parish was part of the borough of Canaveses. It had the right to elect all of its judges, several privileges and was one of Queen Mafalda of Savoy's favourite places. According to tradition, she was the one who commissioned the rebuilding the Roman Bridge that once existed here and would be demolished in the mid 20th-century.

Later, King D. Pedro I, "the Cruel" (1320-1367), owned a house here, where he swore to his mother, D. Beatriz (1293-1359), by her own imposition, that he would end the war against his father, D. Afonso IV (1291-1357), which had been declared after the assassination of Inês de Castro (1320/25-1355). As far as it is known, he did not keep his promise. This episode took place in the so-called "Casa da Palmatória" [Paddle House].

The Church of Saint Mary of Sobretâmega is a testimony of the prevalence of Romanesque constructive solutions during the Gothic period, considering that the building was surely constructed after 1320.

To prove this, we have the absence of columns and capitals in the portals, the square-shaped flat corbels or the Church's interior layout, which point us to the Modern Period, with a rather high triumphal arch to corroborate it.

A new panel-shaped altarpiece with the image of Christ was built for the chancel arch, after the “Visitação” [Inspection] of October 24th, 1656. Such work would be the parishioners' responsibility, and was being carried out in the year following the “Visitação” [Inspection].

Still during that century there was an order to renovate the painting of the altarpiece in the Chapel of the Stigmata, located below the collateral altar, as well as a commission for a new image of the patron saint. However, the works were only completed early in the following century.

The current National-style main altarpiece houses, at its centre, an opulent Eucharistic throne provided with a tabernacle; it has a series of corbels to allow displaying the 15th-century image of Our Lady, made in Ançã stone, and that of Saint Joseph, one on each side of the throne and both with the Child.

Its history and geographical placement make it inevitable to associate this Church with the religious spaces located on the other bank, in São Nicolau. The decree no. 516 from November 22nd, 1971, which classifies the ensemble made up by the Churches of Saint Mary of Sobretâmega, Saint Nicholas, and the Chapel and Cross of the Lord of the Good Passage, proves this association.

This classification excluded the Bridge of Canaveses, which we have already mentioned before. Underlying its non-inclusion was the fact that the Bridge had been demolished in 1944 and that a new one had been built; it was identical to the old one but wider and located a few meters farther downstream. The Bridge was submerged due to the construction of the Torrão dam, during in the 1980s.

Legends and Curiosities
Ouvir

Construction of the Church of Sobretâmega
According to legend, the image of Our Lady appeared under the Bridge over the river Tâmega. Following this event, the local population placed that image in a very bright little chapel, filled with flowers. The chapel stood in an isolated and sad place.

Apparently, Our Lady was not happy with the place and fled away, returning to the river. Thrice She was taken back to the Church and thrice She fled.

When the blessed Mafalda Sanches, daughter of King Sancho I and granddaughter of King Afonso Henriques, was informed on these miracles, she commissioned the construction of a temple to shelter the image by the river, in Our Lady's favourite place.

Specialities
Architecture
Ouvir

This rural Romanesque Church presents itself as a simple structure, with a single nave and a rectangular chancel. The presence of two corbels halfway up the main façade indicates that the portal, composed of two broken archivolts and provided with a flat tympanum resting on corbels adorned with semi-spheres, was protected by a porch-like structure.

Sobriety prevails here, in terms of the external exposed granite wall faces that close the Church in on itself, being only sporadically opened by the narrow crevices that illuminate its interior.

The whitewashed wall faces are interrupted by the granite frames of the doors and windows.

On north side of the chancel, the belfry is made up of a wall topped by a double bell tower with a full arch and a straight cornice, surmounted by pinnacles and a cross. Between the chancel and the belfry we find the sacristy.

Restoration and Enhancement
Ouvir
Little is known about the improvement works carried out in the Church of Sobretâmega after its classification in 1971. From what has survived to this day, we highlight the improvements made during the 1990s, in terms of conservation works carried out in the building and in its immediate surroundings.
Gallery
  • No results were found.
Know More
Bibliography

[S.a.] - Restauro de Pintura Mural - Conservação e restauro das pinturas murais da igreja de São Nicolau e Capela de São Lázaro e Cruzeiro do Senhor da Boa Passagem, Porto, Marco de Canaveses, São Nicolau: caderno de encargos, especificidades técnicas. Lisboa: [Restauro de Pintura Mural], 2012. Texto policopiado.

[S.a.] - Sobre-Tâmega. In CORREIA, António Mendes [et al.] -  Grande enciclopédia portuguesa e brasileira. Lisboa/Rio de Janeiro: Editorial Enciclopédia, 1963. Vol.  29, p.  425-431.

AFONSO, Luís Urbano - A pintura mural portuguesa entre o gótico internacional e o fim do renascimento: formas, significados, funções. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian/Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, 2009.

ALMEIDA, Carlos Alberto Ferreira de - História da arte em Portugal: o românico. Lisboa: Publicações Alfa, 1986.

ALMEIDA, Carlos Alberto Ferreira de - Vias medievais entre Douro e Minho. Porto: Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto,  1968.

ALMEIDA, Fortunato; PERES, Damião, dir. - História da Igreja em Portugal. Porto: Livaria Civilização, 1971.

BESSA, Paula - Pintura mural do fim da Idade Média e do início da Idade Moderna no norte de Portugal. Braga: Universidade do Minho,  2008.

BOTELHO, Maria Leonor; RESENDE, Nuno - Igreja de são Nicolau de Canaveses e Igreja de santa Maria de Sobretâmega: Marco de Canaveses. In ROSAS, Lúcia, coord. cient. - Rota do Românico. Lousada: Centro de Estudos do Românico e do Território, 2014. Vol. 2, p. 85-114.

BOTELHO, Maria Leonor - São Mamede de Vila Verde: um testemunho tardio do românico do Vale do Sousa. Felgueiras: Câmara Municipal de Felgueiras, 2010.

BRANDÃO, Domingos de Pinho - Obra de talha dourada, ensamblagem e pintura na cidade e na diocese do Porto: documentação I: séculos XV a XVII. Porto: Diocese do Porto, 1984.

CAETANO, Joaquim Inácio - O Marão e as oficinas de pintura mural nos séculos XV e XVI. Lisboa: Aparição e Autor, 2001.

CAPELA, José Viriato; MATOS, Henrique; BORRALHEIRO, Rogério - As freguesias do distrito do Porto nas memórias paroquiais de 1758: memória, história e património. Braga: edição José Viriato Capela, 2009. p. 407.

CARVALHO, Maria João Vilhena de; PORFÍRIO, José; CARVALHO, José Alberto Seabra - A espada e o deserto. Lisboa: Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga, 2002. ISBN 972-776-141-0.

COSTA, A. Carvalho da - Corografia portugueza e descripçam topografica do famoso reyno de Portugal... Lisboa: Off. de Valentim da Costa Deslandes, 1706.

CRAESBEECK, Francisco Xavier da Serra - Memórias ressuscitadas da província de Entre-Douro-e-Minho no ano de 1726. Ponte de Lima: Carvalhos de Basto, 1993.

CUNHA, Rodrigo da - Catalogo e historia dos bispos do Porto. Porto: João Rodriguez, 1623.

DIAS, Lino Tavares - Tongobriga e o seu territorium.  In AGUIAR, Alexandre, coord. - Marco de Canaveses: perspectivas. Marco de Canaveses: Câmara Municipal, 2009. ISBN 978-972-95492-7-4. p.  37-80.

FERNANDES, A. de Almeida - A história de Britiande: homenagem de Britiande a Dom Egas Moniz, no 850.º aniversário da sua morte. Braga: Câmara Municipal de Lamego/Junta de Freguesia de Britiande, 1997.

GOMES, Paulino, coord. - Marco de Canaveses: entre o Douro e o Tâmega, onde começa o Marão. Paços de Ferreira: Anégia Editores, 1997. p.119-120.

MONTEIRO, António - As pontes de Canaveses (conclusão): o crucifixo do meio da ponte. Douro-Litoral. Nº 2  (1948a) 26-39.

MONTEIRO, António - As pontes de Canaveses: a ponte romana. Douro-Litoral. N.º 1  (1948b) 50-64.

PINA, Rui; LOPES, Fernão - Chronica de el rey Dom Afonso o qvarto do nome... Lisboa: [Paulo Craesbeeck], 1653.

PORTUGAL. Ministério da Agricultura, Mar, Ambiente e Ordenamento do Território - IRHU/Arquivo ex-DGEMN - Processos vários. Nº IPA PT011307230014 [Em linha]. Disponível em WWW:<URL:www.monumentos.pt>.

RESENDE, Nuno - Fervor & devoção: património, culto e espiritualidade nas ermidas de Montemuro: séculos XVI a XVIII. Porto: Universidade do Porto,  2011.

RODRIGUES, José Carlos Meneses - Manifestações do barroco no continuum medieval.  In AGUIAR, Alexandre, coord. - Marco de Canaveses: perspectivas. Marco de Canaveses: Câmara Municipal, 2009. ISBN 978-972-95493-7-4.

ROSAS, Lúcia Maria Cardoso; SOTOMAYOR-PIZARRO, J. A. de - Território, senhores e património na Idade Média. In AGUIAR, Alexandre, coord. - Marco de Canaveses: perspectivas. Marco de Canaveses: Câmara Municipal do Marco de Canaveses, 2009. ISBN 978-972-95492-7-4. Vol. 1, p.  81-116.

SOEIRO, Teresa - Território e materialidades do fim do Antigo Regime à República. In AGUIAR, Alexandre, coord. - Marco de Canaveses: perspectivas. Marco de Canaveses: Câmara Municipal, 2009. ISBN 978-972-95492-7-4.

SOUSA, Querubim - S. Nicolau: o grande taumaturgo. Porto: Paróquia de São Nicolau, 1955.

Downloads