Located on one of the slopes of the valley of the Esporão brook, the Church of the Saviour of Fervença was, in the 13th century, the centre of an inheritance conflict between a certain clergyman and Gil Vasques, a nobleman from Fervença, in which the former claimed the possession of the Church. This Church's extensive heritage largely contributed to this conflict.
This and other conflicts were only solved by regal intervention, despite the weak presence of the crown - except for some royal fields, farmhouses, windrows and leases, the remaining assets were held by local or regional lords.
In the following century and in order to assist the works of the Monastery of Saint Claire of Vila do Conde, King D. Dinis donates the patronage of the Church of Fervença to his bastard son Afonso Sanches, on May 30th, 1318, annexing the Church to the aforementioned Monastery, which remained under this condition until the late 18th century.
Consecrated to the Saviour of the World, nowadays the Church of Fervença only preserves the chevet from the Romanesque period, while the remaining space has been subject to later adaptations or alterations. For example, the rebuilding of the nave was carried out during the transition from the third to the fourth quarter of the 20th century.
Despite the transformations it underwent, which changed its medieval plan, we should highlight the Romanesque apse, where several influences intertwine, some coming from the sculpture developed in the buildings erected during the same period along the left bank of the river Minho and others deriving from the Romanesque built along the Braga - Rates axis.