General Information
Igreja do Salvador de Tabuado  
See Map
Virtual Tour
  • Name: Church of the Saviour of Tabuado
  • Typology: Church
  • Classification: Public Interest Building, by Decree 33/587, DG 63 of 27th March 1944
  • Municipality: Marco de Canaveses
  • Patron Saint´s Day: Divine Saviour - 6th August 
  • Worship Hours: Saturday - 6.45 pm; sunday - 8 am 
  • Visiting Hours: By appointment   
  • Support Services:
  • Telephone : 255 810 706 / 918 116 488   
  • Fax: 255 810 709   
  • E-Mail: rotadoromanico@valsousa.pt    
  • Web: www.rotadoromanico.com   
  • Location:
    Rua da Igreja, Tabuado, Marco de Canaveses, Porto.
  • Geographic Coordinates: 41° 11' 9.51" N / 8° 7' 11.54" O 
History
History
Ouvir

Church of Tabuado (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)The references to a strong manorial presence stand out from the numerous geographical and chorographical descriptions of Tabuado. Although it was considered as a "couto" [place of privileges], a name that it would have received from the hypothetical foundation of a monastery dedicated to the Saviour, some authors insist on emphasizing the ruling predominance of certain families within this small territory located on the outskirts of the province of Minho.

In fact, as explained by Crispiniano da Fonseca, the name "couto" [place of privileges] applied to Tabuado collided with the strength of the manorial power that dominated the area and seemed to fit better into the legal attributes applied to the "honras" [territory], a terminology that, in fact, would appear during the 16th century.

However, this variability in jurisdictions, statutes and powers seems to hide the interests of many different sides within this small territory, with a value that may be explained by its toponym: Tabuado, derives from the word "tábua" (board), a common expression used in the Middle Ages to designate wood that was suitable for construction.

In 1258, there is a reference to Santa Maria de Tabulata, indicating the "couto" [place of privileges], and that the Church belonged to patrons from the Gosendo Alvares' family. The facts that, in that year, there is a reference to a Heremita de Tabulato and to a Heremita de Sancta Maria de Tabulata, and that the patronage of the Saviour does not appear in the inquiries commissioned by King Afonso, seem to show that the mother church was yet to be defined, thus giving expression to the tradition that indicates the existence of a monastic community (perhaps based in the Church of the Saviour, which then replaced the one of Saint Mary).

Once the "honra" [territory] became a "couto" [place of privileges] (by the hand of King D. Afonso Henriques) and the presumed monastic church became a secular abbey, the interests of both the Church and the lay people were felt until quite late, as evidenced by the ongoing claims and demands regarding jurisdictions over the territory and the Church.

In 1320, the Church paid a tax of 105 Portuguese libras, an amount that tells us very little about the importance of the building and of its income within the regional context.

Tradition refers, therefore, that the "couto" [place of privileges] would have been founded by the Canons Regular of Saint Augustine, as was the case of other institutes nearby.

Despite the fact that the available documentary references attest the existence of one or two temples in Tabuado (one dedicated to Saint Mary and another to the Saviour), which were founded before 1131, the truth is that the remaining architectural traces of the Church of the Saviour tell us of a later chronology that should be placed in the mid-13th century; this is evidenced by the proto-Gothic rose window  found on the main façade and by the stylistic elements that show us a blatant parallel with the aesthetics of the Monastery of Paço de Sousa (Penafiel); therefore it integrates the family of churches of the so-called nationalized Romanesque style.

The puristic appearance of the Church's interior results from a deep restoration intervention conducted during the 1960s that, aiming to restore the building's alleged medieval purity, stripped it from significant artistic and liturgical elements that had been added throughout history.

However, it was during this deep intervention that the Church's only mural painting was discovered, on the back wall of the apse and still rather well preserved: in the central area, under ribbed vaults, we find an image of Christ the Saviour enthroned in a backrest chair with a fringed canopy.

It is flanked, much to the style of a Sacra Conversazione, by Saint John the Baptist, the Precursor, and by Saint James depicted as a pilgrim showing a scallop in his hat and holding a walking staff in his left hand.

Featuring a red-painted background dotted with fleurs-de-lis and roses, these three images are framed within ribbed vaults. The lateral areas are occupied by a decorative pattern shaped by several vertical axes made up of a decorative pattern of geometrical nature, a sort of diamond-shaped wreath.

Painted in the early 16th century, the mural of Tabuado is a unique example, as there are no records about any further paintings made by workshop that designed it.

Chronology
Ouvir

1258 - First reference to Santa Maria Tabulata;

1320 - The Church of Tabuado pays a tax of 105 Portuguese libras;

1475 - The "couto" of Tabuado [place of privileges] is reduced to a secular abbey;

15th century (late) - Probable chronology regarding the development of the Church's painting campaigns;

1912 - Handover of the assets of the parish of Tabuado to the Municipal Commission for Cultural Heritage;

1955-1972 - Period of conservation and restoration interventions at the Church of Tabuado;

2010 - Integration of the Church of the Saviour of Tabuado in the Route of the Romanesque;

2013 - Works for the renovation of the roofs and the preservation of the external walls, under the scope of the Route of the Romanesque.

Specialities
Architecture
Ouvir

The Church of Tabuado has a single nave and quadrangular chancel; the chancel is lower and narrower than the nave. This difference is visible from the outside due to the staggering of the volumes. Adjoining the north wall, which was built in the modern period, we find the sacristy at the same level as the chevet and a chapel, that was initially consecrated to Jesus, at the same level as the nave.
Plan of the Church of Tabuado (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)

The Romanesque elements of this Church refer us to the mid-13th century. It is, therefore, considered as a valuable example of one of the evolution stages of Romanesque architecture in this region, already belonging to a transition period.

The main façade of this temple confirms this fact through the oculus that tops the portal and shows similarities with the solutions adopted in the Church of the Monastery of Paço de Sousa (Penafiel), which already dates back to the 13th century.

Its composition shows a stonework grille drawn with small circles, a central one and six surrounding ones. The oculus is also adorned by an inner frame with rosettes carved in relief.

On the main façade, the main portal stands out. Comprised of three already broken archivolts, adorned with pearls and defined by an elegant torus, it is surrounded by a rich braided frieze.

The capitals feature bevelled carvings and several themes, from bovine animals, to palmettes and knotworks. On the imposts, there is a fine cut outlining the foliage; the imposts extend themselves along the entire façade in the shape of a plain frieze.

The columns already show an alternation between plain and prismatic shafts, signs of a fairly advanced chronology and a direct evidence of the influence that the Romanesque from Coimbra - particularly the Church of Saint James - had on this wide region of the valley of the Sousa and, even, of the Baixo Tâmega.

The flat tympanum is supported by corbels shaped as bull heads. Again,the elements that give body to this portal show similarities with the Monastery of Paço de Sousa, or even with the Church of Saint Vincent of Sousa, considered by Manuel Monteiro as one of the best specimens of the so-called nationalized Romanesque style.

The belfry, which draws a perpendicular axis with this façade, takes the shape of a massive granite block. Seen from the north it almost looks like a defensive tower, strong and massive, in its thick ashlar masonry.

The fortified and military nature of religious architecture during the Portuguese Romanesque period, more rhetorical than actually military, was heavily glossed by the historiography that addressed the matter.

At the top of the belfry, which is surmounted by a gable topped by a cross, there are two broken arches sheltering the bells. On the side that faces the portal, three corbels set at the height of the capitals confirm the pre-existence of a porch.

Two buttresses remain, in the body of the nave and at the height of the chancel arch; their existence is justified by the massive nature of the wall mass that surrounds it. The diameter of the arch, in relation to the size of the nave, protects the space of the chancel that, in Romanesque times, should be intimate and sheltered from the eyes of the devotees.
Façades of the Church of Tabuado (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)

On the north façade, and despite the attached volumes, there are two narrow crevices opened above the frieze that runs along the entire Church, as well as a cornice supported by plain corbels.

The south side repeats the scheme of the opposite side, to which we add the presence of corbels that confirm the existence of a porch-like structure.

With two broken archivolts, the portal that gives access to the interior repeats a "modénature" identical to the one of main portal: the flat tympanum rests on two protruding imposts. The capitals rest on plain shafts that feature bevelled vegetal motifs.

On the back façade, over the frieze, there is a crevice formed by two plain archivolts with sharp edges and stained glass panels, shaping a diamond. A cross "fleury" crowns the chevet's gable.

The inside of the building also features the same simple nature of the architecture and the same severity of the external ornamentation. The exposed granite in the nave is only decorated by a base, also made in ashlars, and by a triple-framed cornice, placed at a higher level.

We should note that this somewhat bare look of the Church's interior is the result of the restoration intervention carried out in the 1960s.

From the Romanesque period, what stands out the most is the triumphal arch, with a very original arrangement, presenting itself like a door. Two broken-arched archivolts are surrounded by a frieze featuring a composition based on corded and geometrical motifs.

The archivolts rest on two columns, and the imposts are adorned with saw teeth and chained circles. On the Gospel side, we find capitals with different compositions; one has birds with intertwined necks and another has the figure of a man attached to the capital's basket by a rope, showing how Romanesque art adapts sculpture to architectural elements.

On the Epistle side, we see the rather common theme of the outraged and single-headed quadrupeds, and a large bird, perhaps a pelican, that Vergílio Correia called the "avejão" (big bird). Over the triumphal arch, there is an oculus opposite the one on the main façade.

Restoration and Enhancement
Ouvir

Restoration and enhancement of the Church of Tabuado (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)Despite the fact that, in 1945, the parish priest of Tabuado, Joaquim Pereira da Cunha, addressed the Civil Governor of Porto informing that the Church "required urgent repairs because its state did not offer safety", so that he "could not morally be held accountable for what could occur during the acts of worship, which were very well attended, as a result of a disaster", it was not until the late 1950s that the works began, reaching a period of particular intensity in the early 1960s.

This process ended with the focus of the Bulletin no. 125 of the DGEMN – Direção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [General Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments], from 1972, on the intervention carried out in Tabuado.

Although it was considered that only "minor readjustment details" had been implemented, because "the Church of Tabuado reached our days with very few grafts and mutilations", the truth is that through the text and the iconography included in this Bulletin, we are left with the feeling that this was not the case.

Restoration and enhancement of the Church of Tabuado (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)The series of interventions carried out between 1955 and 1972 that, "despite having no concerns of performing any full restoration tasks", were aimed at restoring the "dignity and harmony that it [the Church] once had."

The restoration of that dignity and harmony involved, precisely, the valorisation of its medieval - that is, Romanesque - architecture, and the "debaroquization" of its internal space, retrieving what was considered as being its primitive character.

The listing of some of the "Performed Works" is quite explicit regarding these issues: "removal of the choir [1960's], which is very recent and poorly implemented, being accessed through an external staircase found on the lateral façade; removal of the altarpieces from the lateral and main altars, without any artistic value (...) and demolition of the baptismal chapel [on Gospel side's wall], an uncharacteristic and unnecessary construction, locating the primitive font close to the temple's main entrance". Besides these, there were other building works, which included essentially the replacement of pavements and roofs.

Restoration and enhancement of the Church of Tabuado (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)The 17th-century sacristy - "whose state of repair did not allow proper consolidation works and whose roof hides a crevice from the chancel" - was completely rebuilt. But, despite having opted for its "complete reconstruction on the same place", the truth is that it is slightly curious that there was a decision to change the location of its access door to the outside, which was initially facing west and face-to-face with the exterior of the chapel of Jesus; afterwards, it was opened facing east, becoming more ample.

After these works, and from the 1970s to the present day, some occasional conservation interventions have been carried out in the building, paying special attention to the roofs and to the conservation of the back wall's fresco painting.

Being a part of the Route of the Romanesque since 2010, the Church of the Saviour of Tabuado will be subject to a conservation and restoration project focused on the back wall's mural painting. The main goal of this intervention is to restore this ensemble's physical and chemical stability and its aesthetic and legibility unity.

Gallery
  • No results were found.
Know More
Bibliography

[S.a.] - Boletim da Direcção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais: Igreja de Tabuado/Marco de Canaveses. Porto: Ministério das Obras Públicas/DGEMN, 1966.

[S.a.]- Tabuado. In CORREIA, António Mendes [et al.] – Grande enciclopédia portuguesa e brasileira. Lisboa/Rio de Janeiro: Editorial Enciclopédia, 1963. Vol. 30, p.517-519.

[S.a] - MURAL DA HISTÓRIA – Conservação e restauro das pinturas murais da Igreja de Tabuado, Porto, Marco de Canaveses, Tabuado. Caderno de encargos, especificidades técnicas. Lisboa, 2012. Texto policopiado.

AFONSO, Luís Urbano - A pintura mural portuguesa entre o gótico internacional e o fim do renascimento: formas, significados, funções. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian/Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, 2009.

ALMEIDA, Carlos Alberto Ferreira de - Arquitectura românica de Entre Douro e Minho. Porto: Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto, 1978. Tese de doutoramento apresentada à Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto.

ALMEIDA, Carlos Alberto Ferreira de - Primeiras impressões sobre a arquitetura românica portuguesa. Revista da Faculdade de Letras - Série História. Porto: Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto. Vol. II (1971).

ALMEIDA, Fortunato; PERES, Damião, dir. - História da Igreja em Portugal. Porto: Livaria Civilização, 1971.

AZEVEDO, Carlos Moreira - Eucaristia. In AZEVEDO, Carlos Moreira - Dicionário de história religiosa de Portugal. Lisboa: Círculo de Leitores, 2000. ISBN 972-42-2459-7. Vol. 4, p. 388-396.

BESSA, Paula - Pintura mural do fim da Idade Média e do início da Idade Moderna no norte de Portugal. Braga: Universidade do Minho, 2008.

BOTELHO, Maria Leonor; RESENDE, Nuno - Igreja do salvador de Tabuado: Marco de Canaveses. In ROSAS, Lúcia, coord. cient. – Rota do Românico. Lousada: Centro de Estudos do Românico e do Território, 2014. Vol. 2, p. 159-186.

BOTELHO, Maria Leonor - A historiografia da arquitectura da época românica em Portugal. Porto: Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto, 2010a. Tese de doutoramento em história da arte portuguesa apresentada à Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto, 2010. Texto policopiado.

BOTELHO, Maria Leonor - São Vicente de Sousa e o “românico nacionalizado” da região do Vale do Sousa. Felgueiras: Câmara Municipal, 2010b.

CORREIA, Vergílio - Monumentos e esculturas: seculos III-XVI. Lisboa: Livraria Ferin, 1924.

COSTA, A. Carvalho da - Corografia portugueza e descripçam topografica do famoso reyno de Portugal... Lisboa: Off. de Valentim da Costa Deslandes, 1706.

CRAESBEECK, Francisco Xavier da Serra - Memórias ressuscitadas da província de Entre-Douro-e-Minho no ano de 1726. Ponte de Lima: Carvalhos de Basto, 1993.

CUNHA, Rodrigo da - Catalogo e historia dos bispos do Porto. Porto: João Rodriguez, 1623.

FONSECA, Crispiniano - Panorama histórico da antiga vila e couto de Tabuado, situado no extincto concelho de Gouveia, comarca eclesiástica de Riba-Tâmega... Douro-Litoral. N.º 3-4 (1957) 353-379.

GAIO, Felgueiras Manuel José da Costa - Nobiliário de famílias de Portugal. [Braga]: Agostinho de Azevedo Meirelles/Domingos de Araújo Affonso, 1938-1941.

GRAF, Gerhard N. - Portugal Roman : le sud du Portugal, la nuit des temps. Paris: Zodiaque, 1986.

HACQUARD, Georges - Dicionário de mitologia Grega e Romana. Porto: Edições Asa, 1986.

HERCULANO, Alexandre, dir. - Portugalliae monumenta historica : o saeculo octavo post christum usque ad quintumdecimum: inquisiciones. Lisboa: Tipografia Nacional, 1936.

MATTOSO José; KRUS, Luís; BETTENCOURT, Olga - As inquirições de 1258 como fonte da história da nobreza: o Julgado de Aguiar de Sousa. Revista de História Económica e Social. N.º 9 (1982)17-74.

MERCATI, Angelo; PELZER, Augusto - Dizionario ecclesiastico. Torino: Unione Tipografico - Editrice Torinese, 1958.

MINISTÉRIO DAS FINANÇAS – Secretaria-geral – Arquivo. Comissão Jurisdicional dos Bens Cultuais, Porto, Marco de Canaveses, Arrolamento dos Bens Cultuais, Taboado, ACMF/Arquivo/CJBC/PTO/MDC/ARROL/024 (Processo) [Em linha]. Disponível em WWW: <URL:http://badigital.sgmf.pt/Arquivo-CJBC--PTO-MDC--ARROL---024>. fls. 1-1 v.

MONTEIRO, Manuel - Paço de Sousa: o românico nacionalizado. Boletim da Academia Nacional de Belas-Artes. Vol. 12 (1943) 5-21.

MORAIS, Cristóvão Alão de [et al.] - Pedatura lusitana: nobiliário de famílias de Portugal. Livraria Fernando Machado, 1673 [ed. 1948].

MOREIRA, Domingos A. - Oragos paroquiais portugueses. In AZEVEDO, Carlos Moreira - Dicionário de história religiosa de Portugal. Lisboa: Círculo de Leitores, 2000. Vol. 2.

NETO, Maria João Baptista - Memória, propaganda e poder: o restauro dos monumentos nacionais. Porto: Faculdade de Arquitetura da Universidade do Porto, 2001.

PEDRO, Aquilino - Dizionario di termini religiosi e affini. Cidade do Vaticano: Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2000.

PEREIRA, Paulo - Historiografia da arte barroca. In PEREIRA, José Fernandes - Dicionário da arte barroca em Portugal. Lisboa: Editorial Presença, 1989.

PORTUGAL. Ministério da Agricultura, Mar, Ambiente e Ordenamento do Território - IRHU/Arquivo ex-DGEMN/DREMN 2522. Igreja de Tabuado. Marco de Canaveses (14-janeiro-1941 a 24-abril-1972). S2/E47/P.7 Cx.0049.

PORTUGAL. Ministério da Agricultura, Mar, Ambiente e Ordenamento do Território - IRHU/Arquivo ex-DGEMN/DREMN - Processos vários, Nº IPA PT011307240010 [Em linha]. Disponível em WWW: <URL:http://www.monumentos.pt>.

REÁU, Louis - Iconographie de l’art chrétien iconographie de la Bible : Noveau Testament. Paris: PUF, 1957.

ROSAS, Lúcia Maria Cardoso - Arquitectura religiosa tardo-medieval e pintura mural: relações litúrgicas e espaciais. Revista da Faculdade de Letras – Ciências e Técnicas do Património. Vol. 2 (2003).

ROSAS, Lúcia Maria Cardoso; SOTOMAYOR-PIZARRO, J. A. de - Território, senhores e património na Idade Média. In AGUIAR, Alexandre, coord. - Marco de Canaveses: perspectivas. Marco de Canaveses: Câmara Municipal do Marco de Canaveses, 2009. ISBN 978-972-95492-7-4. Vol. 1, p. 81-116.

SANTOS, Reinaldo dos; NOVAIS, Mário, fotografias de - O românico em Portugal. Lisboa: Editorial Sul, 1955.

VASCONCELOS, Alberto de Almeida de Azevedo e - [Memória Paroquial de] Tabuado [Manuscrito]. 1758. Acessível em ANTT, Lisboa. PT/TT/MPRQ/36/5.

Downloads