General Information
Mosteiro de São Martinho de Mancelos  
See Map
Virtual Tour
  • Name: Monastery of Saint Martin of Mancelos
  • Typology: Monastery
  • Classification: Public Interest Building, by Decree 24 347, DG 188 of 11th August 1934
  • Municipality: Amarante
  • Patron Saint´s Day: Saint Martin - 11th November 
  • Worship Hours: Sunday - 6.45 am and 9.45 am 
  • Visiting Hours: By appointment   
  • Support Services:
  • Telephone : 255 810 706 / 918 116 488   
  • Fax: 255 810 709   
  • E-Mail: rotadoromanico@valsousa.pt  
  • Web: www.rotadoromanico.com   
  • Location:
    Lugar do Mosteiro, Mancelos, Amarante, Porto.
  • Geographic Coordinates: 41° 16' 29.61" N / 8° 9' 26.08" O 
History
History
Ouvir

Monastery of Mancelos (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)The Monastery of Mancelos stands near Amarante and within the boundaries of the diocese of Porto, in a place where agriculture still prevails as the main activity. Since ever, and particularly in the Middle Ages, the monasteries were very attracted by the fertile agricultural land, hence their main livelihood. And these, the better they would be if they allowed for pasture and grazing and if, in their vicinity, possessed forests for the supply of the, so fundamental, wood.

According to data from the Bull of Callisto II (p. 1119-1124), this Monastery already existed in 1120, so its foundation is certainly prior to that date, coinciding with the period of life of Garcia Afonso and Elvira Mendes, first in the lineage of the Portocarreiros.

Mancelos was passed as patronage and family ecclesial space to their descendants, particularly the Fonseca family, thus considered the true paradigm of private churches. Effectively, in the 14th century, an impressive number of families claimed rights to this Monastery.

Thus, this Monastery turns out to be a good testimony of private strategies for the foundation of monastic structures, more concerned with territorial control than with the creation of centres of evangelization, hence the history of the foundation of this monastic house is almost absolutely unknown in the chronicles of the Canons Regular of Saint Augustine.

In 1540, King João III donated Mancelos to the religious order of Saint Gonzalo of Amarante, which Pope Paul III (p. 1534-1549) confirmed two years later. Mancelos would become, thereafter, a centre of administrative action and evangelization for the Preachers from Amarante, thus representing one of the most important monastic complexes of that Order in Portugal.

Today, Mancelos stands out for the variety of structures that incorporate it, from the galilee flanked by the simple tower, to the area of the ancient cloister and, inevitably, its interesting Church.

Although it has undergone several transformations over the centuries, the Church maintained significant portions of the Romanesque Period. The existence of an inscription engraved on a loose ashlar, which may still be found today on the site where once stood the cloister, near the sacristy, takes us back to the year 1166 (Era 1204).

Despite telling us nothing about the nature of the event commemorated, in addition to being decontextualized, the truth is that its epigraphic quality suggests that it relates to some important moment in the history of the Monastery, perhaps the consecration or dedication of the Romanesque work. We must not forget that the Monastery was already dated in 1120.

Inside, only the triumphal arch remains an element reminiscent of Romanesque times, despite its pierced capitals, result of the modern period imposing carved elements that the restoration interventions of the 20th century removed. The archivolts have no decor and the impost is identical to the one in the main portal.

Of the Baroque campaign, only the Johannine altarpiece, which occupies the entire back wall of the apse, remains. Between the columns, four corbels with images of the patron saint (Saint Martin of Tours), of Saint Francis of Assisi and of the Dominicans saints, Saint Dominic of Guzman and Saint Gonzalo of Amarante. The sculptures are datable between the second half of the 17th century and the second half of the 18th century.

In the nave, two collateral altars and a lateral one shelter harbour contemporary devotions represented by modern images: Virgin of the Rosary of Fátima, Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Virgin of Sorrows.

Painting takes on an important role in Mancelos due to the large collection dispersed across the ecclesial space. Of the five paintings on chestnut wood, we highlight the martyr Saint Sebastian, naked and pierced with arrows; the Virgin of the Rosary wrapped in an almond-shaped edge formed by roses, with the Child in her arms; Saint Martin in the chair and the representation of Friar Bartholomew of the Martyrs, whose biography informs to have been particularly linked to the building of the Convent of Saint Gonzalo to which contributed the revenues of Mancelos.

There is still one on linen canvas, which seems to portray the scene of the miracle commonly known as Saint Dominic is served at the table by angels, taking as a model for the composition of the scene of the Last Supper, emphasizing the role that Dominic sought to play throughout his life as an imitator of Christ.

Chronology
Ouvir

1120 - The Monastery of Mancelos existed as a manor of Canons Regular of Saint Augustine;

1129-1152 - Documented between these dates, D. Raimundo Garcia, of the lineage of the Portocarreiros, would have made a donation to Mancelos;

13th-14th centuries - Chronology attributable to the remaining Romanesque traces;

14th century - Mancelos was a commendation of the archbishop of Braga;

1320 - The Church of Mancelos was taxed in 600 Portuguese libras to support the Crusades;

1540 - Donation of the Church of Mancelos by King João III, to the Convent of Amarante, of the Order of Preachers;

1542 - Pope Paul III confirms the donation made by King João III;

17th-18th centuries - The integrated and movable heritage of the Church of Mancelos suffers some interventions, including the design of the altarpiece and respective images;

1864 - The parish priest of Mancelos, Joaquim Lopes Carvalho, considered the state of the building to be deplorable;

1934 - The Church of Mancelos is listed as Building of Public Interest;

60s - Beginning of restoration works;

1979 - A Special Protection Zone around the monastic ensemble of Mancelos is defined;

1979-1985 - Conservation works commissioned to the Fabriqueira Commission of Mancelos;

2010 - Integration of the Monastery of Saint Martin of Mancelos in the Route of the Romanesque;

2015 - Intervention for the conservation of the altarpiece and of the paintings, under the scope of the Route of the Romanesque.

Specialities
Architecture
Ouvir

The Church of Mancelos features a longitudinal planimetric development, defined by a considerable differentiation of volumes, which highlights the rectangular nave, higher than the chancel and galilee, the latter with quadrangular planimetry.

Evidently breaking this longitudinal development, the bell tower, which adjoins the galilee on the south side, appearing as a vertical element, stands out within the surrounding landscape.
Plan of the Monastery of Mancelos (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)

First, this monumental ensemble differentiates itself for integrating this massive tower, but also and mainly because it preserves the galilee bordering the main façade, thus sheltering the portal.

The galilee stands as an extremely simple body, torn by a slightly broken arch, allowing access to the inside and whose gable is interrupted by a niche that once would have housed an image.

Given the difference in height between the galilee and the Church's façade, it is possible to see the gable of the latter. Here we gaze upon the same set merlons adorning the galilee (and which remember the contour of Gothic cantilevers), as well as the existence of a narrow crevice which allows the entrance of light in the nave. In the gable angle, a Baroque-style terminal cross.

The Church's main portal with its four archivolts, slightly broken, which rest on elegant capitals where the sculpture, of fine design, attaches to the basket, evidence of the approaching Gothic.

Based on the model created by the volutes of the Corinthian capitals and botanic motifs, with little relief, which create certain homogeneity to the ensemble, despite the compositional differences between the various capitals. Elaborated imposts, with rounded off elements, whose monumentality is enhanced by the dihedral logs in the archivolts.

The surrounding arch shows us a decorated modinature with threaded geometric motifs. The tympanum is supported by two corbels where two figures, of atlantean-style, one female, one male, were carved.

Adjacent to the galilee, the tower proudly boasts its apparatus of medieval cut composed of ashlars of several sizes. It is topped by a double bell on the main façade, sitting on a cornice and featuring a classicizing language, outcome of an intervention occurred between the 17th and 18th centuries.

In the rear and side façades, a series of merlons of pyramidal profile, alluding to the military traits intended for this type of construction. The access to the interior of the tower is made through a round portal, cut by a lintel, which, in its axis, features a narrow crevice and a rectangular window.

East and north façades of the Monastery of Mancelos (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)

Main and south façades of the Monastery of Mancelos (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)

Regarding the Church, its apparel can be described as irregular, with its different sized ashlars. In some of them, the initials can still be identified, evidence of the late nature of the Mancelos edification.

In addition to sections of Romanesque vestments still visible on the side façades, a set of smooth modillions, whose shape is characteristic of the close cantilevers of wooden beams, stand out.

On both façades, two rectangular glass panes, characteristically modern, were torn in the Romanesque vestments, for better lighting of the nave's interior. On the south side, halfway up the nave, a series of cantilevers hints out the existence of a porched structure. Also here, a straight lintel door allows access to the inside of the nave.

We must not forget that a cloister once existed on this side. It is, therefore, for this reason that we must understand the location of the arcosolium that houses sepulchral arch, opening at floor level.

In 1944, Armando de Mattos mentioned this tomb for the first time, with a zoomorphic representation. The author of the Guide to Portugal alludes to the three curious symbols that appear next to a figurative medallion: a cross and two equestrian figures. In turn, Mario Barroca streamlined this sarcophagus in the family of those with simple motifs.

Also, in the tower, a perfect round communication arch was opened to allow access to the cloister. A study on the sacristy's façade shows us the presence of three broken arches, which are now covered, that allow us to guess the adaptation of an older space to the new functions.

To this also contributes the existence of a cornice supported by modillions identical to those in the nave. A set of cantilevers placed in the vestment, on the level immediately above the arches, allows us to confirm this possibility. What kind of space would that be? A former sacristy or even a chapter room? Considering the fact that it is built on masonry, it would certainly be one of the noblest spaces of monastic life. Which one, we cannot say.

The adaptation of this space to a sacristy would have occurred sometime during the Modern Period as indicated by the shape of the porthole, with a quatrefoil design, and of the niche opened in the central arch. In the top arches, straight lintel doors, surmounted by circular oculi, were open. We believe this intervention to be contemporary of the one which designed the bell which finishes the tower.

On the north side of the nave, we highlight several scars on the outer vestment, reflecting the various transformations to which the building was submitted.

Closed by a wooden barrel vault, the nave of the Church of Mancelos is extremely sober, with its vestments in granite, fully visible, where crevices of an evident Romanesque flavour cohabit with large windows characteristic of Modern Age.

Topped by a crevice, the triumphal arch remains as a trace of Romanesque times. Composed of two slightly broken archivolts, without any ornamental elements, it features, however, pierced capitals. Over these, an impost identical to the one in the main portal.

In the nave, close to the portal, to the left as one enters, the granite font. It does not feature any decorative element besides the ring which delineates the upper part of the base that supports the bowl, protected by a timber guard.

Restoration and Enhancement
Ouvir

In 1945, the then parish priest of Mancelos, Joaquim Teixeira Soares Moreira, addressed the DGEMN – Direção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [General Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments] in order to raise this institution's awareness about the advanced state of degradation of the Church of Mancelos. In order to speed up the process, the parish priest mentions the willingness of the "people of the parish" in providing wood and taking care, for free, of the "transportation of the materials that were going to be applied".

Restoration and enhancement of the Monastery of Mancelos (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)In the following year there was a selection of the main works that should be carried out: the total demolition and new reconstruction of the roofs covering the Church and its annexes, including a suitable framing; the total demolition of the choir, considered as being inappropriate; masonry consolidation works, including the replacement of a few stones, and the reconstruction of the pavement, window and door frames and several painting works.

However, due to a lack of allocation, these works were not immediately started so, in 1949, the parish priest of Mancelos appeals to the DGEMN – Direção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [General Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments] once again aiming to begin the works. But it was only in the transition from the 1960s to the following decade that the restoration works actually began.

We notice that a special attention was paid to the understanding of the sacristy's façade, turned to the old cloister. Its arches were even subject to several surveys, which led to the conclusion that "it was impossible to find any solution for the restoration of this façade". They even considered the possibility of opening the broken arches, which are still closed today, "merely sheltering the inner chamber with a porch supported by the corbels found on the façade and the corresponding pillars".

Restoration and enhancement of the Monastery of Mancelos (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)Besides the works listed in 1946, most of which were only undertaken between 1979 and 1985, we highlight the elimination of the large woodwork pelmet that surmounted the triumphal arch. It is worth mentioning that in the wall that surrounds this arch there are still visible marks that prove the fact that this ornamental woodwork element was fixed there.

We should also remember the punctured capitals of the triumphal arch. Although the photos taken before this intervention do not allow us to be absolutely sure, however, it seems that these exact capitals had an attached gilded woodwork element that created a capital itself.

We notice the special attention paid by the "Fabriqueira" Commission of Mancelos to the restoration of the internal space, where they removed the "whitewash from the walls, immediately leaving them with a rustic look." The choir was demolished and, until then, the inside of the galilee had been whitewashed.

The work, funded by the parish itself, was carried out, under direct administration, by the aforementioned "Fabriqueira" Commission, duly monitored by the technical services of the DGEMN – Direção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [General Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments]. In addition to the works that were already mentioned, this intervention also included the restoration of the tower, improvement works on the roofs, the interior remodelling of the sacristy, the beginning of the electrical installation and improvement works on the Church's pavements. These works were only completed in 1988, at this time with Governmental funding.

Restoration and enhancement of the Monastery of Mancelos (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)A special attention was also paid to the bell tower that featured, "at the level of the chemin de ronde, a belfry with two windows (...) a shed to shelter the bell ringer that, besides being unaesthetic", was an imminent danger at the time taking into account the degree of decay of the woodwork that made up its structure. It was also decided to build a staircase inside the tower based on the levels of the primitive floors, thus taking advantage of "the slits on the walls where the primitive beams had been probably inserted".

In 2010 the Monastery of Saint Martin of Mancelos integrated the Route of the Romanesque. Following this new institutional framework, there was the development of a proposal aimed at proceeding with the building's conservation, protection and valorisation.

Gallery
  • No results were found.
Know More
Bibliography

[S.a.] - Direção de Serviços dos Bens Culturais – Igreja de Mancelos e Adro, Mancelos, Amarante: conservação, salvaguarda e valorização geral do Imóvel: memória descritiva. Programa de ação “Património Cultural da Rota do Românico – Tâmega”. 2012. Texto policopiado.

[S.a.] - Guia de Portugal: Entre-Douro-e-Minho I: Douro Litoral. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, 1985.

ALMEIDA, Carlos Alberto Ferreira de - Arquitectura românica de Entre Douro e Minho. Porto: Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto, 1978. Tese de doutoramento apresentada à Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto.

BARROCA, Mário - Epigrafia medieval portuguesa: 862-1422. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, 2000.

BARROCA, Mário - Necrópoles e sepulturas medievais de Entre-Douro-e-Minho: séculos V a XV. Porto: Universidade, 1987.

BARROS, João de - Colecção de manuscritos inéditos agora dados à estampa V: geographia d'entre Douro e Minho e Trás-os-Montes. Porto: Biblioteca Pública Municipal do Porto, 1919.

BOTELHO, Maria Leonor; RESENDE, Nuno – Mosteiro de são Martinho de Mancelos: Amarante. In ROSAS, Lúcia, coord. cient. – Rota do Românico. Lousada: Centro de Estudos do Românico e do Território, 2014. Vol. 1, p. 349-376.

CASTRO, João Bautista de, padre - Mapa de Portugal antigo e moderno. Lisboa: Off de Francisco Luiz Ameno, 1762.

CRAESBEECK, Francisco Xavier da Serra - Memórias ressuscitadas da província de Entre-Douro-e-Minho no ano de 1726. Ponte de Lima: Carval.

DECRETO n.º 24 347. D.G. 188 (34-08-11).

DIOCESE DO PORTO - Inventário online [Em linha]. Porto: Diocese do Porto - Secretariado Diocesano da Liturgia, 2007. Disponível em WWW:<URL: URL:http://inweb.bcdp.org >.

LEI n.º 107/2001. D.R. I Série-A. 209 (2001-09-08).

LOIS GARCIA, Xosé - Simbologia do românico de Amarante. 2.ª edição. Amarante: Edições do Tâmega, 1997.

MARQUES, José - A arquidiocese de Braga no séc. XV. Lisboa: INCM, 1988.

MARQUES, José - "Os itinerários do arcebispo de Braga D. Fernando da Guerra: 1417-1467". Revista de História. Vol. 1 (1978) 89-182.

MATTOS, Armando de - "Sepulturas medievais de origem popular". Museu. Vol. 3 (1944).

OLIVEIRA, Miguel - As paróquias rurais portuguesas. Lisboa: [União Gráfica], 1950.

ORVIETO, Constantino de, frei- Fontes dominicanas: legenda de São Domingos. Fátima: Secretariado Provincial, 1988.

PORTARIA n.º 332/79. D.R. I Série. 156 (79-07-09).

PORTUGAL. Ministério da Agricultura, Mar, Ambiente e Ordenamento do Território - IRHU/Arquivo ex-DGEMN, Processos vários, Nº IPA PT011301230006 [Em linha]. Disponível em WWW: < URL:http://www.monumentos.pt>.

PORTUGAL. Ministério das Finanças – Secretaria-geral – Arquivo. Comissão Jurisdicional dos Bens Cultuais, distrito do Porto, concelho de Amarante, arrolamento dos bens cultuais de Mancelos (Arquivo/CJBC/PTO/AMA/ARROL/027), fls. 1-5.

Processo de Canonização de São Domingos de Gusmão fundador da Ordem dos Pregadores. Fátima: Secretariado Provincial, 1987.

RÉAU, Louis - Iconografia del arte cristiano: iconografia de los santos: de la P a la Z - Repertorios. Barcelona: Ediciones del Serbal, 2002. ISBN 84-7628-223-0.

RIBEIRO, João Pedro - Dissertações chronologicas e criticas sobre a historia e jurisprudencia ecclesiastica e civil de Portugal. Lisboa: Academia Real das Sciencias de Lisboa, 1836.

ROSAS, Lúcia Maria Cardoso - Monumentos pátrios: a arquitectura religiosa medieval – património e restauro: 1835-1928. Porto: Universidade do Porto, 1995. Tese de doutoramento em história da arte em Portugal apresentada à

SANTOS, Miguel, frei, O. P. - Beatificação de D. frei Bartolomeu dos Mártires e os Dominicanos. Cadernos Vianenses. N.º 34 (2004) 35-41.

SÃO PAIO, Luiz de Mello Vaz de - "Os naturais: sec. XIII e XIV". Raízes e Memórias. Lisboa. N.° l (1987) 45-71.

SOTOMAYOR-PIZARRO, José Augusto - Linhagens medievais portuguesas: genealogias e estratégias: 1279-1325. Porto: Universidade do Porto, 1997.

SOUSA, Bernardo de Vasconcelos e, coord. - Ordens religiosas em Portugal: das origens a Trento: guia histórico. Lisboa: Livros Horizonte, 2005.

Downloads