General Information
Mosteiro de Santa Maria de Cárquere  
See Map
Virtual Tour
  • Name: Monastery of Saint Mary of Cárquere
  • Typology: Monastery
  • Classification: National Monument by Decree 16-06-1910, DG 136 of 23rd June 1910
  • Municipality: Resende
  • Patron Saint´s Day: Saint Mary - 15th August 
  • Worship Hours: Saturday - 5 pm; sunday - 8.30 am and 11.30 am 
  • Visiting Hours: By appointment   
  • Support Services:
  • Telephone : 255 810 706 / 918 116 488  
  • Fax: 255 810 709   
  • E-Mail: rotadoromanico@valsousa.pt    
  • Web: www.rotadoromanico.com   
  • Location:
    Lugar do Mosteiro, Cárquere, Resende, Viseu.
  • Geographic Coordinates: 41° 5' 14.28" N / 7° 57' 28.84" O 
History
History
Ouvir

Monastery of Cárquere (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)Built on the northern slope of the Montemuro mountain range's massif, almost within sight of the Douro river, the monastic complex of Cárquere stands out, not just for its architectural and artistic ensemble, but by its deep connection to the early years of the Portuguese nation.

Considered at first, as being the place where the young prince Afonso Henriques, first king of Portugal, had been healed, due to an appeal by his preceptor Egas Moniz and through the intervention of the Virgin Mary, it was later turned into the pantheon of the powerful Resendes family until its dispersal, in the late 15th century.

The legends hatched by the Canons Regular who ruled this area, both in spiritual and temporal terms, until the 16th century were part of a consolidation and promotion strategy which was meant to distinguish an estate that was naturally supported by an extensive set of land and financial assets, within a vast region to the south of the Douro. And such wealth spoke louder when it was deemed necessary to reform the Monastery, which had been handed over to a few clergymen who were less conscious of their duties in the 15th century.

The arrival of the Jesuits, in the 16th century, brought with it a new strength to expand and consolidate the Monastery's control in Cárquere.

This institute was the starting point for missionary and evangelizing activities that helped to set up the rather famous sanctuary of Our Lady of Lapa, to the southeast, on the limits of Nave plateaus.

The ownership of Cárquere was peaceful until the 18th century, when the persecution of the Jesuits by the Marquis of Pombal struck this small community.

This path, despite the vicissitudes of men and their greed, was somehow recorded in the spaces and artistic elements that define the existing ensemble.

Although the traces from the Romanesque period - the times of Egas Moniz and Afonso Henriques - aren't very resounding, we should highlight the crevice of the Resendes family chapel and the tower, which is currently merged with the ensemble, but was once detached from the ecclesiastical building and its annexes.

Regarding the crevice on the front wall of the Resendes pantheon, we should highlight the fact that it is decorated on both sides. While a geometric language prevails inside, despite the mismatch felt in terms of the voussoirs' composition, it is on one of the external archivolts that we find one of its most original elements, the so-called beak-heads - a motif imported from the Anglo-Saxon culture which features animals that are all facing forward and curving along the arch -, carved on each of the voussoirs, together with plenty of graphic elements.

The capitals feature the representation of birds, either with intertwined necks, or alone with open wings.

Regarding the tower, built on a granite outcrop, it has a defensive and manorial nature and may have been built on the same period as the monastic ensemble, which some authors date back to the last quarter of the 12th century or already to the 13th century.

The Monastery's spatial distribution, both on the Church's inside and outside, in the area of the existing cemetery (a former cloister), reveals its Romanesque spatiality. However, what we are still able to observe today, when we enter the Church, is the result of a Manueline appropriation of the primitive Romanesque construction, marked by previous Gothic interventions that are most expressive in the chevet, with its ribbed vault and mullioned window, which is only visible from the outside.

From the Manueline period we highlight the main portal and the one on the north side. The preserved mural paintings (found under the sliding collateral altarpieces) contain, on the Epistle side, a depiction of Saint Anthony and Saint Lucy and, on the opposite side, a group of fluttering angels.

The images of the Virgin of Cárquere and of the Virgin of Milk also belong to the medieval period. The first has been arousing the curiosity of the devotees due to its size and, especially, for being connected to the aforementioned legend.

The Modern Period, which coincided with the presence of the Jesuits, brought about the reform and especially the Baroque style, from which we may highlight the works carried out in the main, side and Saint Sebastian's altars (which is currently displayed in the sacristy), all belonging to the national Baroque period.

Cárquere's decline began in the mid-18th century. Deprived from its guardians and with its assets exposed to greed, it was reduced to the status of parish church. Over the 19th century, society's growing secularization and laicism resulted in much of its religious heritage being sold or falling into decay.

The 20th century, due to the work of a few researchers and to the rising nationalism that sought in history and heritage the symbols to rehabilitate the nation and the new republican regime, led Cárquere to be seen with the proper attention deserved by one of the legendary mainstays of our nationality.

Legends and Curiosities
Ouvir

The apparition of the Virgin Mary to Egas Moniz
Tradition says that Our Lady appeared to Egas Moniz in his dreams, ordering him to go to Cárquere and dig in a specific place indicated by the Virgin, because there he would find the foundations of a church that had been dedicated to Her and an image of Her.

She requested for an altar to be built there and for him to be there on an all-night vigil, placing the young prince D. Afonso Henriques (first king of Portugal) - who had been born with crippled legs - on the altar, next to the image, promising he would soon regain his health. D. Egas did so and D. Afonso was healed.

Chronology
Ouvir

1125 - Friar Teodoro de Melo read (in 1732) an inscription found on the walls of the Residential Manor, which he deemed as being a reference to the foundation of the Monastery of Saint Mary of Cárquere;

12th century (2nd quarter) - Foundation of the Monastery of Saint Mary of Cárquere;

1146 - In his will, D. Egas Moniz is likely to have left several legacies to the Monastery of Saint Mary of Cárquere;

12th/13th century - Construction of the monastic ensemble of Saint Mary of Cárquere, including the tower;

1279 - The Bull of Pope Nicholas III (1277-1280) confirms the autonomy and prerogatives of the Monastery of Cárquere;

13th/14th century - Construction of the Church's Gothic chancel;

1320 - The Monastery of Saint Mary of Cárquere was the only monastery held by the Canons Regular of Saint Augustine within the Diocese of Lamego;

15th century (1st half) - Possible construction of the Resendes pantheon;

16th century - Manueline transformation of the Church of Saint Mary of Cárquere;

1511 - The Monastery of Cárquere was handed over to the commendatory abbot Francisco Suzarte;

1541 - By order of King D. João III (1521-1557), Cárquere becomes part of the assets of the Society of Jesus;

1545-1560 - Mural painting campaign on the Church's volume;

1554 - Official Inquiry to the Monastery and its canons;

1562 - Cárquere is definitely handed over to the Society of Jesus;
 
1578 - The Bull of Pope Gregory XIII (1572-1585) dissolves Cárquere's cloistered obligations and confirms the transfer of its rents from the prior and convent boards to the Jesuit College of Coimbra;

1600 - With the death of the vicar Baltasar Botelho, a dispute between the Jesuits and the bishop of Lamego breaks out over the ownership and presentation of the Church of Cárquere;

17th and 18th centuries - Design of Cárquere's altarpiece structures;

1759 - With the expulsion of the Jesuits and the confiscation of their assets, the monastic complex of Cárquere falls under the administration of the University of Coimbra;

1775-1797 - The inspectors make several complaints and admonitions concerning the state of disrepair of the complex of Cárquere and its liturgical furnishings;

1797 - Joaquim José, from Enxertado, and José Pinto de Figueiredo, from Paços, were hired to carry out thorough works in the ecclesiastical building's structure and annexes;

1798 - Upon a request by the Royal Council of the University, the parish priest of Cárquere prepared a comprehensive inventory of the furniture, implements and vestments, as well as of the incomes, expenses and a few statistical elements regarding the parish;

18th century (2nd half) - Walling up of the door that connected the priests' house with the Church's volume;

1806 - Repair works in the cloister, where a wall had collapsed in the previous year;

1829-1832 - Several masonry works were carried out in Cárquere's Church, sacristy and residence;

1950-2012 - The remaining ensemble of the Monastery of Cárquere has been subject to several conservation interventions;

2010 - Integration of the Monastery of Saint Mary of Cárquere in the Route of the Romanesque;

2015 - Intervention for the conservation of the roofs and external walls, under the scope of the Direção Regional de Cultura do Norte.

Specialities
Architecture
Ouvir

The monastic ensemble of Cárquere shows the passage of several construction periods, which explains the scarcity of visible Romanesque traces. Despite the fact that it underwent many transformations according to the aesthetics and tastes of different periods, there is still a topography with a Romanesque flavour that prevails mostly in the spatial organization of the monastic ensemble.

The fact that the original cloister was placed on the left side of the Church, that is, to the north, justifies the positioning of the Resendes pantheon, the lords of the land, as an independent chapel.

On the opposite side, i.e., on the south side, we find the structures of what has been called as the "conventinho" [little convent], which contributes to emphasize the multiple meanings of the rich spatial articulation of this built ensemble.

Plan of the Monastery of Cárquere (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)Comprising two floors, which can be accessed through a straight-lintel door found on the ground floor, this structure is difficult to date, given the vernacular nature of its masonry work. The existence of multiple scars shows that it was subject to several transformations.

However, the quadrangular and rectangular corbels place its chronology sometime within the Middle Ages, though they do not allow us to establish a specific chronology; therefore, we believe that this structure was built after the construction of the Romanesque Church.

This volume is connected by an arch to that which has come to be known as the custodian's house. However, we should notice the persistence of scars in its upper register, suggesting an extension of what used to be the "conventinho" [little convent] to the south or, alternatively, the existence of a passageway that allowed a connection between the monastic structure and the custodian's house.

The entire ensemble is topped, on its southeast corner, by the robust crenelated tower that was built on a granite outcrop, with a clear Romanesque layout. This structure, with a defensive and manorial nature, may have been built on the same period of the monastic ensemble, which some authors date back to the last quarter of the 12th century or already to the 13th century.
 
Returning to the Church, the chevet may have been built in the turning of the 13th to the 14th century, still within the Gothic style, as evidenced by the mullioned window with a small three-lobed oculus on the front wall, which is only visible from the outside, because inside it is hidden by the main altarpiece.

The structure chosen for the vault also refers us to the Gothic aesthetics, with ribs resting on columns, placed on the corners and closed by a finial. We should also notice the wide opening that, composed of a broken arch dotted by pearls, allows the access between the chancel and the existing sacristy.

On the outside, the corbels suggest the same chronology: with a rectangular shape and predominant geometrical ornaments, some are dotted with pearls. However, interestingly enough, on the north side we identify a corbel in which there is a carved human figure resembling a bearded man sitting with his legs crossed. Due to the fact that it has a more quadrangular shape than the others, this corbel cannot be a reuse of a piece from the Romanesque construction.

The most likely situation is that this chevet replaced a previous Romanesque one. Only a section remains from this period; it is found on the existing nave, in the wall face on the Epistle side, as suggested by the three walled-up crevices that are clearly visible from the inside.

Therefore, what we may conclude is that there was a clear reuse of the Romanesque construction during the Manueline transformation of the nave's volume. The mason's initials on the Church's south wall certify its chronology as a Romanesque building, besides confirming the good quality of its construction.

However, in the Church, and besides the wall on the Epistle side, there are still some prevailing traces, or reminiscences, from the Romanesque Period. We refer ourselves to the oculus that, on the main façade, surmounts the Manueline portal. Moreover, confirming a usual feature of most Romanesque buildings, we find a Romanesque crevice over the triumphal arch, whose imposts show a chequered motif. The archivolt is embedded in the thickness of the wall itself.

Aesthetically, the triumphal arch is clearly Gothic, not only due to the large diameter of its span, but also due to the fact that its three archivolts - which are still round - show carved capitals with a refined language, in which floral and phytomorphic motifs prevail.

However, it is on the tomb chapel of the Resendes that we find this ensemble's most significant Romanesque sections. Featuring a rectangular plan and opening to the space where once stood the cloister, the funeral chapel of the Resendes keeps four granite chests inside, whose monolithic lids are shaped as gabled roofs.

Being about two meters long each, the ones placed on the left side of the chapel are framed by an arcosolium.

We highlight the crevice found on the front wall. Composed of two round archivolts, this crevice is ornamented, both on the inside and the outside. On the inside, a geometric language prevails, with carvings in relief on both archivolts; the inner archivolt has a zigzag motif, while on the outer one we identify a chained rope-shaped motif.

However, if we look at it carefully, we can see that the voussoirs in this archivolt are not fully connected in terms of the motifs they depict, which leads us to believe that, for some reason, this crevice may have been reused, belonging to a different area of the building.

That episode may make sense if we take into account the chronology assigned to the tomb chests kept in the pantheon and the fact that it is believed that the chapel may have already been built in the 15th century by Vasco Martins de Resende, according to the information contained in his will from 1433.

On the outside, the geometric-flavoured motifs of the crevice's outer archivolt stand out, while on each of the inner archivolt's voussoirs the highlight is put on the animals that are all facing forward and curving along the arch, which are not too modelled and show plenty of graphic elements.

We stand before the so-called beak-heads, imported from the Anglo-Saxon culture and that, according to Manuel Real, became very popular among us as a result of the Benedictine action that spread out from The Church of Saint Peter of Rates (Póvoa de Varzim), showing an obvious familiarity with the figures depicted on the triumphal arch of Tarouquela (Cinfães), on the portal of the tower of Travanca (Amarante) and on a single voussoir from the cloister of Paço de Sousa (Penafiel).

These archivolts rest on sculpted capitals where, on one side, we find birds with their necks contorted and, on the other side, a bird with open wings whose head meets the capital's corner.

Under this crevice there is a section of a frieze in which intertwined motifs stand out. The quality of this ensemble demonstrates the magnitude and artistic talent that the Romanesque Church of this Monastery must have had.

Restoration and Enhancement
Ouvir

Restoration and enhancement of the Monastery of Cárquere (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)In 1949 the DGEMN – Direção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [General Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments] conducted a thorough photographic survey of Saint Mary of Cárquere, in order to establish its preservation needs. This survey showed the relative state of neglect of the built ensemble at the time.
 
Several improvement works were conducted in the 1950's. The works were aimed, not only at the general preservation of the building, but they also tried to emphasize an effective medieval nature, through the reconstruction of the tower.

The south façade, which was tilted and threatening to collapse, was first anchored, and then entirely rebuilt. So, the works related to the tower were already taking place in 1951 and went on during most of this decade, given that they were only working on the upper openings of the south wall in 1957.

The small galilee built in the 19th century existed, at least, until 1952. Five years later it had already been demolished, as well as the wall that separated the churchyard from the cemetery, but the whitewashed background remained; however, it was removed in the meantime, in a praise to granite.

The joints of the ashlars on the nave's north elevation and on the chancel's back elevation were also whitewashed, thus contrasting with the granite and creating a chiaroscuro relation with it. We believe that it was during the cleaning process of the latter that the Gothic mullioned window, which had been walled up until then, was revealed.

Restoration and enhancement of the Monastery of Cárquere (Photo: © SIPA – IHRU)It was also during this large-scale intervention that the two-flight stair that allowed accessing the high choir from the outside and from the north elevation was demolished, as proved by a clear scar visible on the Gospel side.

Currently, the existence of this access stair is still revealed externally by a scar on the wall, approximately under the large window located closest to the western façade, which was opened only in 1994, as an attempt to provide the first third of this elevation with some aesthetic and formal coherence.
 
In the following decade, there were improvement works carried out in the so-called custodian's house (1962-1964); these included the demolition of the passageway over the arch that connects the house to the "conventinho"[little convent], which had been turned into a barn in the meantime. This upper volume, turned into a "ruin", remains today as the memory of a built space that was intended to be greater.

In the 1970's, besides repairing the Church's roof, they also opened the arch that connects the chancel with the existing sacristy, on the Gospel side. This intervention led the tomb chest of D. Ambrósio Pereira to be moved to the sacristy and the altar of the Souls, or of Saint John, to be transferred to the so-called Lamosa room, which was then turned into a secluded and pious sanctuary with a beautiful image of Our Lady of Cárquere, connected to the Church's nave.

The fact that this tomb was the base for the aforementioned altar explains the reason why it is mutilated, since it is possible that it once sheltered a corpse. Indeed, we should note that the plan published by Vergílio Correia in 1924 shows the lower floor of the "conventinho" [little convent] as a unified space, while currently it is divided into two spaces, housing also the parish hall.

That intervention is due to Father Abel de Sousa and was inaugurated on May 23rd, 1965. It was also in this period that the top floor of this volume was turned into a performance hall, with its corresponding stage.

In addition to the conduction of an archaeological excavation in the building's surroundings, in 1997, the subsequent years were marked by the implementation of several building preservation works, particularly focused on the roofs (2004).

Gallery
  • No results were found.
Know More
Bibliography

[S.a.] - Cárquere. In CORREIA, António Mendes [et al.] - Grande enciclopédia portuguesa e brasileira. Lisboa/Rio de Janeiro: Editorial Enciclopédia, [195?]. ISBN 972-9362-21-1. Vol. V, p. 994-995.

AFONSO, Luís Urbano – Cárquere: Igreja de Santa Maria. In A pintura mural portuguesa entre o gótico internacional e o fim do renasciento: formas, significados, funções. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian/Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, 2009. ISBN 978-972-31-1308-2. Vol. II, p. 180-184.

ALMEIDA, Carlos Alberto Ferreira de - A Anunciação na arte medieval em Portugal: estudo iconográfico: iconografia I. Porto: Instituto de História de Arte - Faculdade de Letras do Porto, 1983.

ALMEIDA, Carlos Alberto Ferreira de - Primeiras Impressões sobre a arquitetura românica portuguesa. Revista da Faculdade de Letras. Vol. 2 (1971).

ALMEIDA, Fortunato; PERES, Damião, dir. - História da Igreja em Portugal. Porto: Livaria Civilização, 1971.

ASSUMPÇÃO, T. Lino d’ - Frades e freiras: chroniquetas monásticas. Lisboa: [Typ da Companhia Nacional Editora], 1893.

BORGES, Georges Botelho - [Memória Paroquial de] Cárquere [Manuscrito]. 1758. Acessível em ANTT, Lisboa. PT/TT/MPRQ/9/142.

BOTELHO, Maria Leonor; RESENDE, Nuno – Mosteiro de santa Maria de Cárquere: Resende. In ROSAS, Lúcia, coord. cient. – Rota do Românico. Lousada: Centro de Estudos do Românico e do Território, 2014. Vol. 1, p. 195-230.

BOTELHO, Maria Leonor - A historiografia da arquitectura da época românica em Portugal. Porto: Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto, 2010. Tese de doutoramento em história da arte portuguesa apresentada à Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto, 2010. Texto policopiado.

CARDOSO, Luís - Carquere. In Diccionario geografico, ou noticia historica de todas as cidades, villas, lugares, e aldeas, rios, ribeiras, e serras dos Reynos de Portugal e Algarve, com todas as cousas raras, que nelles se encontrão, assim antigas, como modernas. Lisboa: Regia Offic. Silviana, 1751. Tomo II, p. 451-452.

CHAVES, Luís - A arte popular dos ex-votos. Revista de Guimarães. Vol. 80, n.º 1-2 (1970) 73-98.

CHOAY, Françoise - A alegoria do património. Lisboa: Edições 70, 2000. ISBN 9789724412740.

CHRISTIAN JR., William A. - Apariciones en Castilla y Cataluña: siglos XIV-XVI. Madrid: Nerea, 1990. ISBN 84-86763-36-3.

CORREIA, Vergílio - Monumentos e esculturas: seculos III-XVI. Lisboa: Livraria Ferin, 1924.

CORREIA, Vergílio - Santa Maria de Cárquere. In Monumentos e Esculturas: seculos III-XVI. Lisboa: Imprensa Líbano da Silva, 1919. p. 47-58.

COSTA, M. Gonçalves da - História do Santuário da Lapa. 3.ª ed. Lamego: [edição do autor], 2000.

DIAS, Augusto - Santa Maria de Cárquere. [Porto]: Edições Beira e Douro, 1976.

DUARTE, Joaquim Correia - Resende e a sua história: as freguesias. [Resende]: Câmara Municipal de Resende, 1994b.

DUARTE, Joaquim Correia - Resende e a sua história: o concelho. [Resende]: Câmara Municipal de Resende, 1994a.

DUARTE, Joaquim Correia - Resende no século XVIII. [Resende]: Câmara Municipal de Resende, 2004.

GALVÃO, Duarte - Crónica de D. Afonso Henriques, segundo o manuscrito da Torre do Tombo: com notas e glossário de José de Bragança. Lisboa: Portugália Editora, [1954].

GRAF, Gerhard N. - Portugal Roman : le sud du Portugal, la nuit des temps. Paris: Zodiaque, 1986.

MATTOSO, José - Eremitas portugueses no século XIII. In MATTOSO, José - Religião e cultura na Idade Média portuguesa. 2.ª edição. Lisboa: Imprensa Nacional-Casa da Moeda, 1997. p. 103-145.

PINHO LEAL, Augusto Soares d'Azevedo Barbosa de - Portugal antigo e moderno. Lisboa: Livraria Editora Tavares Cardoso & Irmão, 2006. Tomo II, p. 116-117.

PINTO, Joaquim Caetano - Resende: monografia do seu concelho. Braga: [edição de autor], 1982.

QUEIRÓS, Carla Sofia Ferreira - A importância da sede do bispado de Lamego na difusão da estética retabular: tipologias e gramática decorativa nos séculos XVII-XVIII. Porto: Universidade do Porto, 2006.

QUEIRÓS, José Maria Eça de - A ilustre casa de Ramires. Lisboa: Edição Livros do Brasil, [s.d.].

REAL, Manuel Luís - O românico condal em S. Pedro de Rates e as transformações beneditinas do séc. XII. Boletim Cultural Póvoa do Varzim. Vol. 21, n.º 1 (1982).

RESENDE, Nuno - Fervor & devoção: património, culto e espiritualidade nas ermidas de Montemuro: séculos XVI a XVIII. Porto: Universidade do Porto, 2012.

ROSAS, Lúcia Maria Cardoso - Monumentos pátrios: a arquitetura religiosa medieval – património e restauro: 1835-1928. Porto: Universidade do Porto, 1995. Tese de doutoramento em história da arte em Portugal apresentada à Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto. 2 vols. Texto policopiado.

SECRETARIADO DE ESTADO DA CULTURA - Nos confins da Idade Média: arte portuguesa: séculos XII-XV. Porto: IPM - Museu Nacional Soares dos Reis, 1992. Catálogo da Exposição realizada no Museu Nacional Soares dos Reis (13 de março a 26 de abril de 1992).

SOTOMAYOR-PIZARRO, J. A. de - Linhagens medievais portuguesas: genealogias e estratégias: 1279-1325. Porto: Universidade do Porto, 1997.

SOUSA, Bernardo Vasconcelos e - Ordens religiosas em Portugal: das origens a Trento: guia histórico. Lisboa: Livros Horizonte, 2005. ISBN 972-24-1433-X.

TELES, Baltasar, S. J. - Chronica da Companhia de Iesu, na prouincia de Portugal. Lisboa: [por Paulo Craesbeeck], 1645.

UNIVERSIDADE DE COIMBRA - Arquivo (AUC). Estante 17, tabela 2, n.º 36, fólios avulsos.

Downloads