The Church of Saint Mary of Veade retains significant portions of Romanesque architecture that immediately suggest us the existence of a large ostentatious building during this period. However, despite their regional character, these elements still constitute one of the best works by our Romanesque artisans.
The origin of this Church lies probably on a small hermitage, founded on private property, which in the 13th century associated itself to the Guedeões lineage. The inscription that, engraved on a granite ashlar, was inlaid on the north side wall of the Church's nave, close to the portal, on its left side, may well be a proof of this circumstance: SUB : Era : Mª : Cª2 : X’ª : VIIª / OBIIT : FAMULA : DEI / MIONA : DOLDIA : GOMEZ
This is the funerary inscription of D. Dórdia Gomes which, by being referred to herein as Miona, would likely be a person of high social position. The designations Miona, Miana or Meana, derive from the expression mea domina or mea domna and were used only within a very restricted group of “ricas-donas” [wealthy women] of the 12th or 13th century.
Their high social status would be combined with the piety for having often been involved in the founding of monastic houses. Thus, having died in 1159, it is possible that Dórdia would have somehow been related to the origins of the monastic institution which the “Inquirições” [administrative enquiries] of 1220 designate as monasterium de Bialdi, although the Church of Veade was already a parish temple by then.
Despite the uncertainties about this female figure, who was buried in Veade, there is a later reference that can only be associated with her. The “Inquirições” [administrative enquiries] of 1258 mention the name of D. Dórdia Peres de Aguiar, best known for being the mother of the Master of Santiago, D. Peres Paio Correia.
This lady who belonged to the region's nobility was the great-great-granddaughter of the first person from the Guedeões or Guedaz lineage, whose area of influence was between the Douro, Minho and Trás-os-Montes. The canon Gomes Alvites who, before 1258, unexpectedly sold the Church and all the farmhouses to the Order of the Hospital, would have likely been a relative of D. Dórdia.
Knowing the private churches system, which entitled rights and assets to the descendants of a specific founder, it is somewhat surprising to find a single individual taking control over a vast heritage that should be in the possession of several people.
The Church, primarily a smaller temple that the inquiries of D. Afonso define as the monasterium of Biadi, would have been a hermitage offering easements to the hermits, a common typology among the first family cenobies, some occupied by family members themselves, others handed over to the management of strangers who devoted themselves to living in solitude or in small groups.
It is likely that this chapel was followed by a bigger and nobler building - perhaps due to the intervention of the Guedeões, namely at the hand of Gomes Alvites, related with the clergy of Braga -, of which significant portions remain embedded in the current edification.
However, the most remarkable investment in the ecclesiastic space would later occur under the responsibility of the commanders of Moura Morta, whose job was to reap the benefits and to present the mother church's prior or vicar of the mother church and, later on, of the affiliate, annexed or suffragan church's priest.
As the author of the Memories of 1758 explains, “the edification of the Mother Church and Annex and Churches runs all on account and expense of their Patrons”. These patrons, represented by the Commander, did not refrain from leaving their mark and symbols of authority and prestige. Perhaps due to the need to rationalize the commendatory heritage management, which was scattered and vast, Veade joined the commendation of Moura Morta.
This parish, which nowadays belongs to Peso da Régua, became the seat of one of the commendations of Malta yielding 113$352 réis [former Portuguese currency unit] in the 17th century, a benefit that was then handed over to D. Luís Coutinho.
Among the commanders of Veade, we highlight the name of Diogo de Melo Pereira (d. 1666), who had the houses of Commendation built in 1641, as stated in the inscription found under the stone crest: ESTAS CAZAS MAN/ DOU FAZ[ER] O COM[ENDAD]º[R] / DIOGO DE MELLO P[ERE]Y[R]A / DE BERTIANDOS. / NO. ANNO DE / 1641.
One of the bailiffs who followed him was Friar Martim Álvaro Pinto, the person responsible for the great reform conducted on the small medieval Church, according to the taste of the Modern period, which is a good reflection of its mentor's origin and status.
In the inscription commissioned by Commander Martim Álvaro found over the portico of the Church of Veade, we learn a little bit more about his origin : ESTA IGR.A MANDOV REEDIFICAR DE NO / VO. O COMENDADOR FR MATIM [SIC] ALVARO PINTO / DAFONS.A E SOUZA DA CAZA DE CALVILHE / ANO 1732
Therefore, it is within the context of this family and of the Institution of the Order of Malta that we should understand the important reforms conducted in the Church of Veade in the 18th century and that, in some way, contradict or at least minimise the common idea that the commanders only profited from the benefits they were provided with, without giving anything in return.
The investment in buildings or rebuilding works, despite being expensive, allowed their mentors to leave a mark of their prestige and power, often stimulating the influx of believers, pilgrims or offerers to the new or renovated space.