Located about 1000 meters above sea level, joining the banks of the river Cabrum, the Bridge of Panchorra is a beautiful example of vernacular [traditional] architecture.
A two-arched bridge, it presents a regular structure in the voussoirs [stones forming the arch] and irregular masonry [stones] in the remaining structure, which may indicate a work of local or regional masters, intended to meet the access needs of the community to their farms and forests.
Accordingly, it distances itself in importance and technique from its counterparts, built downstream, including the bridges of Ovadas, Lagariça and Nova, almost at the mouth of the river Cabrum. However, it still stands as a fine example of community infrastructure.
The crossing takes advantage of the outcrops on the riverbanks to support its pillars, upon which the horizontal deck with guards stands, providing it with the necessary sturdiness for farm vehicles and livestock to cross.
Although Panchorra is already mentioned in the Inquirições [administrative enquiries] of 1258, only in the 16th century was it separated from Ovadas, where the former religious centre of the medieval parish was located.
It became, thus, a “curato” [parish], with the Chapel of Saint Lawrence serving as the new religious centre.
Classification: Public Interest Building – 2013
Route: Douro Valley
1258 - First reference to Panchorra;
1288 - Reference to the existence of three farmhouses in Panchorra;
1513 - The charter of Terra de Aregos already refers all taxes paid to the crown;
1527 - Panchorra had between 71 and 77 inhabitants;
Before the 17th century - Construction of the Bridge of Panchorra;
1758 - Of all the clerics from the parishes of the Cabrum valley, only the one of Gralheira makes any reference to the (masonry) bridge of Gralheira;
2010 - Integration of the Bridge of Panchorra in the Route of the Romanesque;
2013 - The Bridge of Panchorra is classified as Public Interest Monument.
Located in the parish of Panchorra - in the southwest limit of the municipality of Resende, in the very heart of the Montemuro mountain range plateau and over the river Cabrum -, the Bridge of Panchorra was, for decades, considered as a Roman bridge. The probable existence of a Roman route which passed nearby possibly contributed to this association.
Located in a village of which the first historical references date back to 1258 and where there are other masonry bridges that owe their construction to the need for communication and trade between neighbouring villages, this Bridge should be understood, in spatial terms, within a more limited context: to provide safe access to the village's agricultural properties that extend themselves beyond the course of the river Cabrum.
Monument not accessible to visitors with reduced mobility.
+351 255 810 706
+351 918 116 488
How to get here:
Rua da Ponte da Panchorra, Panchorra, Resende, Viseu
Northern Portugal: A28/A3/A7/A24/A11 » A4 (Vila Real) » Mesão Frio/Régua » N101 Mesão Frio » Gestaçô » Resende » Rota do Românico/Mosteiro de Cárquere/Ponte da Panchorra.
Porto: A4 (Vila Real) » Mesão Frio/Régua » N101 Mesão Frio » Gestaçô » Resende » Rota do Românico/Mosteiro de Cárquere/Ponte da Panchorra.
Central/Southern Portugal: A1 (Porto) » IP3 (Viseu) » A24 (Vila Real) » Castro de Aire Norte » Rota do Românico/Ponte da Panchorra.
Resende: Rota do Românico/Mosteiro de Cárquere/Ponte da Panchorra.