In the 14th century, Telões already emerged as a parish church, raised to the category of a monastic seat, which has disappeared in the meantime.
Profoundly changed over the centuries in response to new tastes and new liturgies, we must situate its Romanesque construction at the turn of the 12th to the 13th century.
The subsequent transformations (denounced by several scars along the walls of the nave), the edification of the church porch and vestry, or even the opening of large rectangular windows in the side walls, produced a profound modification of the medieval spatiality.
However, one of the most significant transformations to this Church occurred in the 16th century, resulting in a widespread campaign of mural painting, although today we can only appreciate the one on the back wall of the nave, depicting the Nativity scene.
In the 17th and 18th centuries, the Church of Telões was endowed with new altars and altarpieces (main, two collateral and two lateral), which combine the Mannerist and Baroque styles with contemporary interventions.
Classification: Public Interest Building – 1977
Route: Tâmega Valley
By the 11th century - Likely chronology for the foundation of the Monastery of Telões;
13th Century - Telões was allocated to the “Terra” or “Julgado” [Jurisdiction] of Basto;
13th Century (1st half) - Possible chronology for the edification of the Romanesque Church based on the remaining traces;
1269 - Domingos Pais, canon of the Cathedral of Porto, left a series of lamps to the Monastery of Telões for lighting and decoration of the altars of Saint Lawrence and Saint Mary Magdalene;
1320 - The Church of Telões in the Terra de Sousa is referred to as contributing with 1200 crusaders to the Crusades;
1475 - The patronage of the Monastery of Telões is transferred to the Collegiate of Our Lady of Oliveira (Guimarães);
16th Century (early) - First campaign for mural paintings in the Church;
1510-1580 - Several interventions in the Church are documented, recommended by diocesan “visitadores” [inspectors];
1782-1784 - Construction of the side altars as the “visitadores” [inspectors] indicate;
19th Century - Implementation of a fifth altarpiece for the Church of Telões;
1831 - The devotees in Telões request larger bells;
1864 - The Church of Telões is deemed to be in a reasonable state of preservation;
1972-1977 - Process for the classification of the Church of Telões as Building of Public Interest;
1980 - Lowering of the tow high-choirs that existed over the main door;
80s - Several works of conservation and restoration were carried out in the Church;
2005-2009 - Action for the safeguarding of the construction of Telões, including its movable assets and the reformulation of the area for the Eucharistic celebration;
2006 - Discovery of the mural paintings in the Church of Telões;
2010 - Integration of the Church of Saint Andrew of Telões in the Route of the Romanesque;
2015 - Improvements to the surrounding area and conservation of roofs, walls and openings of the Church, under the scope of the Route of the Romanesque.
Saint Andrew - 30th November
Sunday - 8.00 am
Monument not accessible to visitors with reduced mobility.
+351 255 810 706
+351 918 116 488
How to get here:
Largo do Mosteiro, Telões, Amarante, Porto
Northern Portugal: A28/A3/A24/A7/A11 » A4 (Vila Real) » Amarante Oeste » Celorico de Basto » Rota Românico/Igreja de Telões.
Porto: A4 (Vila Real)» Amarante Oeste » Celorico de Basto » Rota Românico/Igreja de Telões.
Central/Southern Portugal: A1 (Porto)/ A29 (V.N. Gaia) » A41 CREP » A4 (Vila Real) » Amarante Oeste » Celorico de Basto » Rota Românico/Igreja de Telões.
Amarante: N15 Felgueiras » Rota Românico/Igreja de Telões.