The Church's tower-façade does not meet military requirements.
For this purpose, there were the crags and valleys of this place that helped the Christians to take over the castle of Saint Martin. Thus, this Church, built in the 13th century, although it stands out as part of the Portuguese Romanesque due to the eccentric volumetrics of its façade, still fulfils the functions for which it was built, already in times of peace: the liturgy.
Its initial design was bold, but remained incomplete.
The inscription “1217”, discovered in an ashlar [stone] of the chancel, shows the start of its construction or the completion of the first phase of construction, thus giving expression to the hypothetical idea of a temple with three vaulted naves.
Opposite the latter, there is a pointed triumphal arch topped by a framed oculus.
It was, however, in the Modern Age, and especially during the Baroque, that the Church's space underwent further changes, such as the chancel, intervened under the responsibility of the patrons.
Noteworthy are the paintings from the workshop of the Masters of Ferreirim (about 1530), the carvings in the main altarpiece [main altar] of “National“ style, and the ceiling of hagiographic nature [the life of the saints].
Classification: National Monument - 1922
Route: Douro Valley
1057 - Taking of the Castle of Saint Martin to the "Moors" by Ferdinand the Great;
1111 - The Countess D. Teresa grants the charter to São Martinho de Mouros;
1217 - The year that marks the beginning of the construction of the Church of Saint Martin;
1258 - The “Inquirições” [administrative enquiries] allude to the royal patronage of the Church of Saint Martin of Mouros;
1342 - The charters of São Martinho de Mouros are drawn up, documenting aspects of its proto-municipalist and communitarian organization;
1455 - The patronage of the Church is transferred from the crown to the House of Marialva;
1513 - D. Manuel I grants a new charter to São Martinho de Mouros;
1531/1532 - Rui Fernandes, a chronicler and merchant, mentions São Martinho and the Bestança valley;
1530 (circa) - Painting of the boards depicting Saint Martin's life;
1543 - The patronage of the Church is transferred to the University of Coimbra;
1638-1649 - News about multiple payments for one-off works in the Church and in the parish residence;
1758 - The Rector João da Cruz, parish priest of São Martinho, signs the Memoir that draws a social, economic and artistic portrait of the parish;
1941-1951 - Conduction of restoration works on the main façade and on the Church's Protection Area, under the responsibility of the DGEMN – Direção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [General Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments];
1962-1968 - The chancel and sacristy of the Church of Saint Martin of Mouros are subject to a deep restoration intervention, under the responsibility of the DGEMN – Direção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [General Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments];
From the 90s to our days - The Church of Saint Martin of Mouros has been subject to several conservation interventions;
2010 - Integration of the Church of Saint Martin of Mouros in the Route of the Romanesque;
2018-2019 - Conservation and restoration of altarpieces, ceiling, pulpit and sculptures, within the scope of the Route of the Romanesque.
Saint Martin - 11th November
Sunday - 8 am
Monument not accessible to visitors with reduced mobility.
+351 255 810 706
+351 918 116 488
How to get here:
Av. Nené Ribeiro, São Martinho de Mouros, Resende, Viseu
Northern Portugal: A28/A3/A7/A24/A11 » A4 (Vila Real) » Mesão Frio/Régua » N101 Mesão Frio » Gestaçô » Resende » Rota do Românico/Igreja de São Martinho de Mouros.
Porto: A4 (Vila Real) » Mesão Frio/Régua » N101 Mesão Frio » Gestaçô » Resende » Rota do Românico/Igreja de São Martinho de Mouros.
Central/Southern Portugal: A1 (Porto)/ A29 (V.N. Gaia) » A41 CREP » A4 (Vila Real) » Mesão Frio/Régua »N101 Mesão Frio » Gestaçô » Resende » Rota do Românico/Igreja de São Martinho de Mouros.
Resende : N222 Lamego » Rota do Românico/Igreja de São Martinho de Mouros.