Built in the late 13th century, perhaps on a previous building of which the ashlar [stone] headed with the date of the Era 1226 (the year 1188) bears witness, the Church consecrated to the Apostle Saint James, the Greater, has a single nave and quadrangular chancel, which is narrower and lower.
The façade is topped by a bell tower and the portal features a slightly broken exterior archivolt. The south side portal is of similar design.
On the north side, the early corbels of the Church stand out, while featuring a decoration typical of the Romanesque of the Tâmega and Sousa.
The interior, entirely redefined by Baroque interventions, features the traditional scenography of gilding, which joins the painting in the vaulted ceiling of the nave and the work in the chancel Here lies one of the most original findings of art historiography: a set of mural paintings featuring hagiographic scenes [the life of the saints] and from the life of Christ.
These 15th-century paintings were most probably commissioned by one of the abbots of this Church, D. João Camelo de Sousa.
Classification: Public Interest Building – 2012
Route: Douro Valley
1188 - Inscription date in an ashlar in the chancel;
1258 - The Church of Saint James of Valadares is referred to as a private or family church;
13th century (final) - Suggested chronology for the edification of the Church of Valadares;
15th century (mid) - João Camelo de Sousa, of the family and social circle of the lords of Baião, commissions the campaign for the murals in the Church of Valadares;
1623 - The Church of Valadares featured a sacrarium;
18th century - Valadares was part of the heritage of the Houses of Baião and Marquises of Arronches;
18th century (1st half) - Suggested chronology for the production of the altarpiece, in national baroque-style;
1890, September 20th - 250,000 réis [former Portuguese currency unit] were granted by royal initiative for the repair of various sections of the Church of Valadares;
1989, December 13th - The process for the classification of the Church of Valadares is opened;
2010 - Integration of the Church of Saint James of Valadares in the Route of the Romanesque;
2011, November 17th - Announcement regarding the draft decision on the classification as Monument of Public Interest and setting of the respective special protection area of the Church of St. James of Valadares;
2012, September 14th - The Church of Valadares is classified as Public Interest Monument;
2014-2015 - Works for the general conservation of the Church, mostly at the levels of the roofs and external walls, under the scope of the Route of the Romanesque; restoration of the altarpiece and mural paintings.
Saint James - 25th July
Saturday - 4 pm / 5 pm (winter/summer) or Sunday - 9 am / 8.45 am (winter/summer), alternating weekly
Monument not accessible to visitors with reduced mobility.
+351 255 810 706
+351 918 116 488
How to get here:
Rua Padre Alcino Monteiro, Valadares, Baião, Porto
Northern Portugal: A28/A3/A7/A24/A11 » A4 (Bragança/Matosinhos) » Marco de Canaveses » Baião » Rota do Românico/Igreja de Valadares.
Porto: A4 (Vila Real) » Marco de Canaveses » Baião » Rota do Românico/Igreja de Valadares.
Central/Southern Portugal: A1/A29 » A24 (Vila Real) Marco de Canaveses » Baião » Rota do Românico/Igreja de Valadares.
Baião: Valadares » Rota do Românico/Igreja Valadares.