The Church of Real is situated on a small hill in a secluded location.
Built in the first quarter of the 14th century, it falls into the category of late Romanesque, as shown by the main portal, with no tympanum, with columns headed by capitals deployed of voluminous sculpture.
This is an adaptation of the influence of the Romanesque from the city of Porto may have arrived here through Travanca (Amarante), since the Church of Real belonged to the patronage of that Monastery.
On the south side façade, one can still enjoy an arcosolium with sarcophagus, whose lid bears an engraved sword, which demonstrates the social status of those who are buried there.
Close to this, stands a bell tower clearly showing Romanesque traits.
The 18th century and the Baroque changes have left deep marks in this Church.
Large windows for lighting were opened, three aligned crosses were placed in the gables and the cressets in the corners of the nave.
Furthermore, the variations at the level of the structure are also evidence that this building was modified enough throughout its history.
Inside, even today, one may appreciate the consecration crosses, of Romanesque nature, pattée and inscribed in a circle.
In 1938, Real was no longer a mother church.
Classification: Submitted to classification
Route: Tâmega Valley
14th century - Construction of the Church of Real;
1726 - There was no sacrarium and its abbot was Tomás Pereira do Lago;
18th century (mid) - Significant construction campaigns change the medieval construction;
1768 - Period of the alternative patronage between the Diocese of Braga and the Monastery of Travanca;
1864 - The Church was in good state of preservation;
1938 - Construction of a new parish church;
2010 - Integration of the Church of the Saviour of Real in the Route of the Romanesque;
2015 - General conservation of the Church of Real at the level of the outer vestments, roofing, access doors and lighting and ventilation openings, under the scope of the Route of the Romanesque.
Divine Saviour - 6th August
Monument not accessible to visitors with reduced mobility.
+351 255 810 706
+351 918 116 488
How to get here:
Rua da Igreja Velha, Real, Amarante, Porto
Douro Railroad (Porto-Marco Urban Trains or Porto-Régua/Pocinho Regional Trains), with exits at Vila Meã station (3.0 km from Church of Real). Check here for all the schedules and price table.
Northern Portugal: A28/A3/A24/ » A4 (Vila Real) » A11 (Felgueiras) » Marco de Canaveses » Vila Meã » Rota do Românico/Igreja de Real.
Porto: A4 (Vila Real) » A11 (Felgueiras) » Marco de Canaveses » Vila Meã » Rota do Românico/Mosteiro de Travanca/Igreja de Real.
Central/Southern Portugal: A1 (Porto)/A29 (V.N. Gaia) » A41 CREP » A4 (Vila Real) » A11 (Felgueiras) » Vila Meã » Rota do Românico/Mosteiro de Travanca/Igreja de Real.
Amarante: N15 (Felgueiras) » Rota do Românico