The Tower of Vilar, more than a military construction, is a symbol of the power the elite held over the territory and is therefore an important example of the domus fortis [fortified stately home] in the area of Tâmega and Sousa.
It was probably built between the second half of the 13th century and the early 14th century, although the earliest mention of the Tower dates back to the 15th century.
According to the Inquirições [administrative enquiries] of 1258, the “Sancte Marie de Vilar” was an “Honra” [territory] belonging to the family of D. Gil Martins of the Ribavizela family.
With a rectangular floor plan, the Tower of Vilar stands on a granite outcrop that crowns a small hill. It was built in excellent granite and demonstrates several initials of masons.
The façades present several interstices and there are still several corbels [salient stones] supporting the floors.
The top floor would have been the chemin de ronde [surveillance point], with battlements and merlons crowning the Tower’s parapet.
Work carried out as part of the Route of the Romanesque project has helped rebuild the ruins of the Tower of Vilar.
Classification: Public Interest Building - 1978
Route: Sousa Valley
13th century (second half) / Early 14th century - Original edification;
1346 (8 February) - First document of Tower of Vilar: letter confiscating the rents of the Tower from D. Teresa Martins, widow of D. Afonso Sanches, bastard son of King D. Dinis;
1998 - The Tower of Vilar is included in the Route of the Romanesque of Vale do Sousa;
2005-2006 - Construction works, at the expense of DREMN - Direção Regional dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [Regional Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments], in the scope of the Route of the Romanesque of Vale do Sousa;
2006 (23 September) - Opening to the public of the Tower of Vilar following renovation works;
2009 - Opening of the Tourist Information Centre of the Route of the Romanesque;
2011-2012 - Valuing works of access to the Tower, landscaping and parking, under the scope of the Route of the Romanesque.
Fridays and Saturdays: 9:00 am to 12:30 pm and 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm
Other days: by appointment
Tourist Information Centre of the Route of the Romanesque. Ongoing activities may affect the opening hours. We suggest you to contact us in advance.
Monument not accessible to visitors with reduced mobility.
+351 255 810 706
+351 918 116 488
How to get here:
Alameda Torre de Vilar, Vilar do Torno e Alentém, Lousada, Porto
Northern Portugal: A28/A3/A7/A24/A4 » A11 (Felgueiras) » Caíde » Rota do Românico/Torre de Vilar.
Porto: A4 » A11 (Felgueiras) » Caíde » Rota do Românico/Torre de Vilar.
Central/Southern Portugal: A1/A29 » A41 CREP » A4 (Vila Real) e a A11 (Felgueiras) » Caíde » Rota do Românico/Torre de Vilar.
Lousada: N207 Felgueiras » Rota do Românico/Torre de Vilar.