Church of Saint John the Baptist of Gatão - Rota do Românico
SCHEDULE A VISIT

Isolated in the landscape, the Church of Gatão is a building whose construction timeline extends through the 13th and 14th centuries.

At the chevet is where the most significant Romanesque elements are found. Besides the split gap in the backwall, a lombard-style frieze is featured on both sides. This model of cornice on little arches was particularly welcomed in the Romanesque of the Tâmega and Sousa.

The narrow shafts of the nave, the south side portal and the triumphal arch are also from medieval times. Composed of two broken archivolts, but faceted and smooth, it is surrounded by a chequered frieze.

Deeper interventions were undertaken in Modern Age, particularly outside the west front, with the addition of the church porch and the bell tower.

Both in the nave, beside the triumphal arch, and in the chancel, there are significant frescoes from the 15th and 16th centuries, where depictions of Calvary, the Coronation of the Virgin, the martyrdom of Saint Sebastian, Saint Catherine of Alexandria and Saint Lucia stand out.

In the cemetery next to the Church is the burial place of Teixeira de Pascoaes (1877-1952), one of the most important Portuguese poets and writers from the turn of the 19th to the 20th century.


Type: Church

Classification: National Monument - 1940

Route: Tâmega Valley

13th-14th centuries - Chronology proposed for the edification of the Church of Gatão;

1320 - The Church of Gatão was taxed in 80 Portuguese libras;

15th century (end) - Campaign for the mural painting of the Church of Gatão;

1758 - There were three carved altarpieces in Gatão;

1864 - The state of preservation of the Church of Gatão is considered good;

1882 - Due to the diocesan reorganization, Gatão was transferred from the archdiocese of Braga to the diocese of Porto;

1937 - Father Manuel Couto warns about the existence of murals in the Church;

1940 - Listing of the Church of Gatão as a National Monument;

1941-1951 - Major restoration campaign;

2010 - Integration of the Church of Saint John the Baptist of Gatão in the Route of the Romanesque;

2015 - General conservation of the Church at the level of the outer vestments, roofing, access doors and lighting and ventilation openings, and mural painting, under the scope of the Route of the Romanesque.

Saint John the Baptist - 24th June

By appointment

Saturday - 4 pm; Sunday - 9.30 am

Monument not accessible to visitors with reduced mobility.

visitasrr@valsousa.pt

+351 255 810 706

+351 918 116 488

How to get here:

41.296929, -8.063132

Largo da Igreja, Gatão, Amarante, Porto

Northern Portugal: A28/A3/A24/A7/A11 » A4 (Vila Real) » Amarante Oeste » Celorico de Basto » Rota Românico/Igreja de Gatão.

Porto: A4 (Vila Real)» Amarante Oeste » Celorico de Basto » Rota Românico/Igreja de Gatão.

Central/Southern Portugal: A1 (Porto)/ A29 (V.N. Gaia) » A41 CREP » A4 (Vila Real) » Amarante Oeste » Celorico de Basto » Rota Românico/Igreja de Gatão.

Amarante: N15 Felgueiras » Rota Românico/Igreja de Gatão.